If you want to get your device to a service center for any reason but have a rooted phone, it’s always a good idea to get the device back to stock before you actually do it. This will prevent unwanted questions and of course save you a few bucks with warranty restored, with the service center none the wiser about it. This guide will show you how to do the same with the Sprint Epic 4G Touch, Sprint’s version of the popular Galaxy S II smartphone.
1. This is a Windows-based procedure, so you must have a Windows XP or a Windows 7 desktop around.
2. Be sure that all your Samsung drivers are up to date. If you have doubts regarding this, download and install the latest Samsung Kies desktop application and this should install them automatically for you.
3. Download Odin3 v1.85.
4. Download the latest stock ROM (EL29 as of now) from Sprint for the Epic 4G Touch.
1. Extract ODIN3_v1.85.zip to a folder on your desktop.
2. Extract D710USEL29_20120105151142_Stock.zip you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.
3. In the extracted folder, run Odin3_v1.85.exe (make sure that the Odin3.ini accompanying this executable file remains in its location).
4. Click on the PDA Button and select HOME_SPH-D710_CL852097_user.tar.md5 from the folder you extracted above.
5. Under the Option section, ensure that only Auto Reboot is checked; none of the other tickboxes in this section should be checked and if they are, uncheck them all except for the Auto Reboot option.
6. Power down your Epic 4G Touch.
7. With the device off, press Volume Down and then press the Power button. Then press Volume Up to put the device into Download Mode.
8. Connect your device to the PC (make sure that you have installed Kies before you do this). The ID:COM will turn yellow, recognizing your device. Your Odin window should now look like this:
9. Click on Start. Odin will now begin flashing the stock ROM and reboot the device once the process is complete.
You will now have in your hands an untainted Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch!! If you have your doubts about this, download Root Checker to confirm.
This guide was based on qbking77’s solution over on the ACSyndicate forum. Go ahead and buy him a cup of coffee or a beer if this saved you a few greens!!
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!