You may not have heard about the Candy or even the company that manufactures it – Cherry Mobile – but it is a pretty popular brand for affordable Android devices in the Philippines. In this guide, we’ll show you how to root the Candy, an Android 2.2 device with a bar phone form factor.
1. Back up your data, although this isn’t exactly mandatory, it’s always better to do so just in case.
2. Ensure that the Candy is at least 50% to 75% charged.
3. This procedure will only work on the Cherry Mobile Candy with Android 2.2 Froyo OS, so ensure this is the firmware you are running before proceeding.
1. Download z4root apk from here.
2. Enable installation of non-Market applications. To do this, go to Settings > Applications and check the Unknown Sources tickbox.
3. Copy the z4root.1.3.0.apk file to your memory card via USB Storage mode. You can do this by connecting your device to the Windows PC and selecting USB Storage when your device prompts you for the type of connection.
4. Disconnect your device.
5. Use a file explorer app like File Expert or Astro File Manager and click on z4root.1.3.0.apk to install it.
1. Open up the z4root app installed on your device.
2. Click on Temporary Root if you want root access until you reboot your device or Permanent Root if you would like your device to be permanently rooted.
3. Wait for z4root to complete the process and reboot the device.
Your Candy should be rooted after it completes rebooting.
1. Open up the z4root app.
2. Click on Unroot.
Thanks go to RyanZA who developed the original z4root solution!! A donation will always be appreciated, so please do if this worked for you!!
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
For more of our modding, hacking, and advanced tinkering tutorials, head to our Rooting and Jailbreaking section.
For more of our tips and tricks, head to our How To section.