Having problems with your affordable Pandigital Planet media tablet? Suffering laggy Flash playback and overall performance? Read on to take the first step to solve these issues – rooting.
1, This procedure only works with Pandigital Planet tablets running Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread only. Do not attempt this if you are running Froyo; upgrade to Gingerbread and then come back here to proceed.
2. This procedure will definitely erase all data from your device, so make sure you take a backup of anything you deem important.
3. This procedure is based on flashing a tweaked ROM that comes prerooted; so if you are happy with the way your tablet functions currently, do not proceed further.
1. Connect your device to your computer.
2. Enable USB Mass Storage Mode on your device. This can be done by choosing “USB Mass Storage” from the prompt that pops up on your device when connecting to your computer.
3. Copy A-OpenPDP-2.3.4-v2.1-Spz0.zip you downloaded above to the topmost folder of the SD Card on your device. Do not extract it!
4. Power down the device.
5. Boot into Recovery Mode. To do this, hold Volume up and press Power for 3 seconds.
6. Use the Volume Up to navigate the Recovery menu; press Volume Down to select “Apply update from SD card“.
7. Use the Volume Up again and highlight A-OpenPDP-2.3.4-v2.1-Spz0.zip.
8. Press Volume Down to flash the zip file.
9. Once the zip file is flashed, reboot the device.
Your Pandigital Planet should now be fully rooted and have Google Apps installed!! To confirm root, look for the Superuser app in the app drawer or download Root Checker from Play to check root status. Also, Google Apps should be installed by default including the Android Market.
All credit goes to Spz0 on SlateDroid for cooking the ROM and rooting the Pandigital Planet!! A thank you note or a donation will surely be appreciated by him!!
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.