As is usual with most updates, the Sony Ericsson Walkman Live lost root access after its recent update to Android 4.0.4. The guide below will show you how to obtain root access on this device running the 4.1.B.0.431 version of the OS and install ClockworkMod Recovery, enabling you to flash custom ROMs and do other things that require root access.
1. This will not erase any data from your device, but as a precaution, do a backup of what you feel is important just in case.
2. This solution works by flashing a modified kernel that will provide root access. If you are not okay with this, do not proceed any further.
3. You will need a device with an unlocked bootloader for the procedure to work. If you do not have an unlocked bootloader, look to our post to help you guide this.
2. Fastboot Files.
1. Extract the fastboot-win32.zip file you downloaded above to a folder in your C:\ drive. You should end up with a folder named C:\fastboot-win32 containing fastboot.exe.
2. Copy the boot_EXtendedStockKernel_WT19i.img file you downloaded above to the same folder.
3. Power down your device and put it into Fastboot Mode. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up + Power buttons until it enters the Fastboot mode.
3. Open up a Command Prompt window. To do this on your Windows 7 PC, click on the Windows Start button, type cmd in the search box and hit enter.
4. Run the following commands:
fastboot flash boot boot_EXtendedStockKernel_WT19i.img
That’s it! You should have a rooted device after a reboot!
All credit goes to expeacer for modifying the kernel!! If you like his work, be sure to thank or donate to him on his XDA thread!!
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!