Whenever a new firmware updates comes out and you update your device with the same, the root access gets lost and you ought to find a new way to root your device on the updated firmware. What if there was a way to update your device to new firmware without losing root access? Well, it’s possible for the Motorola XOOM tablet. If you happen to own this tablet, you can easily update it to latest Jelly Bean without losing root and recovery. The following guide covers all the steps you should take to update your device.
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. Please head to our how to root Motorola XOOM procedure first, finish it, then return to this procedure and continue.
2. You must have flashed a custom recovery on your device. See how to flash a custom recovery on Motorola XOOM.
3. Your device will be updated to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean after following the procedure given below.
4. The following method works on Motorola XOOM WiFi (US WiFi-MZ604) model only.
1. Download the Pre-Rooted Stock ROM from here. (Download link is in the first post)
1. Place the downloaded Stock ROM file on the Desktop of your PC.
2. Connect your tablet to your PC using the USB cable.
3. Transfer the Stock ROM file to the root folder of your tablet’s SD card. It is the topmost folder where you’ve to put the file.
4. Disconnect your tablet from the PC after you’ve copied the file.
5. Turn OFF your tablet using the Power key.
6. Power ON your tablet and when you see the splash screen, just hit the Volume DOWN key.
7. Select the Android Recovery option from the boot options.
8. Press the Volume UP key to enter into the Recovery Mode.
9. From the Recovery Menu, choose Wipe cache partition option.
10. Go to Advanced and choose the Wipe Dalvik cache option.
11. Choose install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard option from the Main Menu of the Recovery.
12. Navigate to the Stock ROM file you transferred earlier and select it for flashing. It will take a few minutes to finish the flashing process.
13. Once the flashing is done, choose reboot system now from the Recovery Menu.
Congrats ! You have successfully updated your tablet to the latest Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean without losing root access. The root-only apps on your tablet will still work as they used to before updating the firmware.
If this procedure helped you, then please head to the official thread over at XDA Forum to thank/donate to the original developer of this ROM !
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
Now that you are rooted, head here to learn some of the fun things you can do!
For all the devices we have rooting procedures for, head here.