You are not eligible to get the official firmware updates if you are running on the custom ROMs. If you want to enjoy the bug-fixes and software updates on your device, you need to be on the stock ROM with no root access. If you are waiting to get the official updates on your Dell Streak 7 and want to get back to the stock ROM, here’s how you can do it. The following guide shows you how you can unroot your Dell Streak 7 device and be eligible to get the official updates.
1. You should have rooted your device using the procedure given here.
2. This will reinstate the warranty that you lost after rooting your device.
1. Stock ROM (Download the latest version available)
2. Stock Recovery (Download the Recovery that matches with the Stock ROM you are downloading)
1. Download and place all the three files onto your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Fastboot archive to your Desktop.
3. Turn OFF your device using the Power button.
4. Reboot your device into the Fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
5. Connect your device to the PC using the USB cable.
6. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop by right-clicking on any empty area on the screen while holding the Shift button, then choose Open command window here.
7. Issue the following command using the Command Prompt Window you just opened. Make sure to replace the recovery.img with the actual name of the recovery image.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
8. After it has finished flashing the recovery, issue the following command to reboot your device.
9. Your device should reboot.
You have successfully replaced the custom recovery on your device with the stock recovery. Now, head on to the next section to learn how to flash the Stock ROM on your device.
1. First of all, rename the Stock ROM file you downloaded to update.pkg. It will make it easier to call during the process.
2. Connect your device to the PC using the USB cable.
3. Copy the Stock ROM file to the root folder of your device’s internal storage. It is the topmost folder where you have to copy the file.
4. Unplug the device from the PC after the file has been copied.
5. Turn OFF your device using the Power button.
6. Reboot your device into the Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume UP+Power buttons together.
7. Choose 2. Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card.
8. Press the Power button on your device and the unrooting process will begin.
9. You will get a confirmation on your screen when the recovery has finished installing the Stock ROM.
Good job! You have successfully unrooted your Dell Streak 7 device and now you enjoy the warranty period which just got reinstated.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!