The Motorola Backflip smartphone was an Android device launched back in the year 2010 and it was the first smartphone from AT&T to run on the Android OS. Well, like other Android phones, you should get root access and a custom recovery on your Motorola Backflip to get those stunning custom ROMs running on it. We already have a rooting guide for the smartphone and the following guide shows how you can install ClockworkMod Recovery on your Motorola Backflip smartphone.
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. Please see our guide on how to root the Motorola Backflip.
2. This should replace the stock recovery on your device with CWM Recovery.
1. ClockworkMod Recovery Image (Download link’s given next to the device name)
1. Download and place both the files you downloaded on your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Fastboot archive to your Desktop and you should get adb.exe along with some other files.
3. Enable USB debugging on your device from Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development>>USB debugging.
4. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
5. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do so, press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, then choose Open command window here.
6. Type in the following commands into the Command Prompt Window:
adb push recovery-clockwork-22.214.171.124-motus.img /sdcard/recovery-clockwork-126.96.36.199-motus.img
flash_image recovery recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52-motus.img
7. It should install the CWM Recovery on your device and reboot it into the Recovery Mode.
8. And you’re done!
Wonderful! You’re now running the CWM Recovery on your Motorola Backflip smartphone, this recovery has much more to offer you than the stock recovery!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Motorola Backflip to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!