While we have a rooted Motorola Electrify, the only thing we need to get started with custom ROMs is a custom recovery. The journey to the world of custom ROMs begins as soon as you load a custom recovery on your device. In this guide, we’re gonna show you how you can install the popular ClockworkMod Recovery on your Motorola Electrify smartphone.
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. Please head to our how to root the Motorola Electrify procedure first, finish it, then return to this procedure and continue.
2. Make sure your device has at least 60% of battery life left. You need to maintain this battery level to ensure a smoother process.
1. Recovery Package (Download link’s given in the sixth post)
1. Download and place the Recovery Package archive on your Desktop.
2. Unzip files from the archive to your Desktop.
3. Install the Drivers (32-bit or 64-bit) on your PC.
1. Double-click on the RSD Lite setup you extracted on your Desktop and install it.
2. Turn OFF your smartphone.
3. Reboot your device into the Fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
4. Choose Fastboot from the given options.
5. Connect the device to your PC using USB cable.
6. Open a Command Prompt Window on the Desktop of your PC. To do that, press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, then choose Open command window here.
7. Now, type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window:
fastboot flash rdl.bin RDL3_unlocked.smg
8. Next, issue the following command:
fastboot oem unlock
9. This should display the disclaimer on your screen. Note down the code it shows, it’s important.
10. Now, type in the following command, make sure to replace 123 with the actual code you got in above step.
fastboot oem unlock 123
11. After your device is unlocked, pull the battery out of your device without disconnecting it from PC.
12. Put the battery back into the device.
13. Now, while your device is turned OFF, press and hold the Volume UP+Power buttons together.
14. You should enter the RSD mode on your device.
15. Right-click on the RSD Lite shortcut you have on your Desktop and choose Run as administrator.
16. From inside the RSD Lite, click on “…” and then locate the SBF file that you extracted to your Desktop and select it.
17. Hit the Start button to begin flashing the file.
18. Reboot your device.
Great! The bootloader of your device has successfully been unrooted, let’s see how you can install the CWM Recovery on it.
1. Turn OFF your device.
2. Reboot it into the Fastboot mode by pressing and holding the Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
3. Select Fastboot from the options you’ve on your screen.
4. Connect it to your PC using the USB cable.
5. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. Just press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, then choose Open command window here.
6. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window:
fastboot erase recovery
7. Issue following command to flash the recovery:
fastboot flash recovery CWM_recovery.img
8. Reboot your device using the following command:
9. And you’re done!
Wonderful! You now have unlocked bootloader of your device as well as a custom recovery. These things are enough if you’re thinking to try out custom ROMs on your device!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Motorola Electrify to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
Now that you are rooted, head here to learn some of the fun things you can do!
For all the devices we have rooting procedures for, head here.