How to Root (and Unroot) the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0
For those of you who aren’t aware, Sammy tried its hand at a couple of mp3 players in an effort to compete with the iPod Touch. One of these was the Galaxy Player 5.0 and while this did not gain the same traction as the iPod Touch, the Galaxy Player 5.0 did manage to find a few buyers. This post will show you how to root that Galaxy Player 5.0 if you own one and install the root-requiring apps available for free (or paid if you have the money) on Google Play.
I. Before You Begin
1. Back up everything you feel is important.
2. Make sure that you have your device charged to 75% or more to prevent problems during the procedure.
3. This procedure is designed to work on a Windows desktop (preferably Windows 7).
II. Necessary Downloads
III. Rooting The Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0
1. Extract SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip to a folder on your desktop.
2. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do this, go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Developer Options and tick the USB Debugging checkbox.
3. Connect your device to your PC and if there are any drivers being installed at this point, let Windows 7 do so.
4. From the folder you extracted above, run SuperOneClick.exe.
5. Click on Root.
Once the procedure is done, your Galaxy Player 5.0 should be rooted and you should see the Superuser app appear in your app drawer!
IV. Unrooting the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0
1. Follow the same steps as in Section III until Step 4.
2. Click on Unroot.
V. Flashing Custom Recovery (Optional)
If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the next procedure to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.