In order to install custom ROMs on your Motorola Photon 4G, you need a custom recovery installed on your device. A custom recovery allows you to replace your current ROM with any of your favorite custom ROM. By doing so, you’ll get a completely revamped interface as well as features. If you’ve made your mind to try out custom ROMs, then lets’ see how you can install ClockworkMod Recovery on your Motorola Photon 4G.
1. You must have unlocked bootloader of your device. Head to XDA Forums to find out the procedure to do so.
2. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. Please head to our how to root the Motorola Photon 4G procedure first, finish it, then return to this procedure and continue.
1. ClockworkMod Recovery Image (Download link is given in the first post)
1. Download and place both the files to your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Fastboot archive to your Desktop. You can use WinRAR to do so.
3. Connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
4. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do that, press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, then choose Open command window here.
5. Type in following commands into the Command Prompt Window:
moto-fastboot erase recovery
moto-fastboot flash recovery recovery-photon3.img
6. Reboot your device.
7. You’re done now!
Congratulations! The CWM Recovery Image has successfully been flashed on your device, making it capable to have custom ROMs as well as tweaks!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Motorola Photon 4G to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
Now that you are rooted, head here to learn some of the fun things you can do!
For all the devices we have rooting procedures for, head here.