How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on the AT&T Galaxy Note (I717)
The Galaxy Note II is already available but the original Note still hasn’t lost its sheen for some. But wouldn’t you like to have that dual-screen feature on your Note that is available on the Note 2? You can, if you flash a custom ROM on your device and to flash custom ROM, you’ll firstly need to root and install custom recovery. The guide below will show you how to do one of those two things – installing ClockworkMod Recovery (a very popular custom recovery) on the AT&T-branded Samsung Galaxy Note.
I. Before You Begin
1. Make sure that you have at least 75% of your device charged before you begin.
2. Back up anything you feel is needed just in case.
3. This will increase your flash counter, voiding your warranty, but you can counter this by using our guide on resetting the flash counter.
II. Necessary Downloads
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the Galaxy Note (I717)
1. Power down your device. Now, press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons until you see the warning screen. Press the Volume Up button to get into Download Mode.
2. Extract the Odin 1.85.rar file you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.
5. From the extracted folder, double-click on Odin3 v1.85.exe to run the tool.
6. Click on PDA button, locate cwm-i717-120305.tar.md5 and click on OK to load it on Odin.
7. Connect your device to your PC. The ID:COM field on Odin should light up yellow signifying that it has recognized your device.
8. Make sure that the Re-Partition and Flash Lock are unchecked; this is important as you might brick your device if these options are ticked!
9. Click on Start.
Once the device reboots, you should have ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your Galaxy Note! You can now root and install custom ROMs of your choice or make backups if you would like that.
IV. Rooting the AT&T Galaxy Note
Head to this guide if you want to root your Galaxy Note.
V. Flashing Custom ROMs (Optional)
If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the next procedure to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.