The LG Thrive smartphone debuted in the month of April last year and it runs the Android 2.2 Froyo onboard, as this was the latest version of the Android at the time the phone was launched. If you’ve been eyeing at the development for the phone, you may have seen that it hasn’t got much love from manufacturer in terms of development. You don’t have to be disappointed, though, as the Android community is always there to help you out, no matter what device you have. The root access on the phone has been achieved, that means you can install root-only apps and customize your phone the way you want, let’s see how you can root your LG Thrive smartphone in the following guide.
1. Rooting your device will void the warranty. Therefore, go ahead on your own.
2. Make sure your device is charged fully or have at least 60% of battery life left.
1. GingerBreak (It’s attached in the first post)
1. Download and place the GingerBreak APK file on your Desktop.
2. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
3. Copy the APK file over to the root of your SD card.
4. Once the file’s copied, disconnect the device from your PC.
5. Enable the Unknown sources option on your device. To do so,
a) Open Dialler on your device, it is what you use to call someone.
b) Dial the following number:
c) From the options, tick-mark the box labeled Unknown Sources Test.
6. Enable the USB debugging option from Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development>>USB debugging.
7. Open the File Manager on your device and tap on the APK file you copied earlier to install it.
8. Go through the installation steps until the app is installed successfully.
9. Once it’s installed, launch it from Menu.
10. Tap Root button in the app and let it root the device.
11. Your device should reboot automatically once the rooting is done.
12. You’re all set!
Awesome! Your LG Thrive’s now rooted and has Superuser app right in the Menu to help you manage root permissions!
1. If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the How To Flash a Custom Recovery Image on the LG Thrive to learn how to do that.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
Now that you are rooted, head here to learn some of the fun things you can do!
For all the devices we have rooting procedures for, head here.