If you have updated your Galaxy 551 to Froyo 2.2.2 or even Gingerbread firmware, the z4root method will most probably not work. For those still stuck at Froyo 2.2.2 though, the guide below should help them root their device with little fuss and those with Gingerbread on board can use this guide to help them. Read on then to know how to root your Galaxy 551 if you are running Android 2.2.2.
1. This procedure only works with the Samsung Galaxy 551 running Android 2.2.2 (KD1 and above).
2. Back up anything you feel is important before you begin.
3. Make sure you have the necessary drivers installed before you begin. If not, installing Samsung Kies will usually put all the necessary drivers in place. This guide assumes that you are running a Windows 7 PC.
4. Make sure you have your device charged to 75% or more to prevent unwanted shutdowns during the procedure.
SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip [Download link available here]
1. Extract SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip to a folder on your desktop.
2. Enable USB Debugging on your device. Go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development and tick the USB Debugging checkbox to do this.
3. Enable installation of apps from unknown sources. Go to Menu > Settings > Applications and tick the Unknown sources checkbox.
3. Connect your device to your PC. Windows 7 should install any drivers needed at this point.
4. From the folder you extracted above, run SuperOneClick.exe.
5. Click on Root.
After a reboot, your device should be completely rooted!
1. Follow the same steps as in Section III until Step 4.
2. Click on Unroot.
If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the next procedure to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!