Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 got rooted as soon as it hit the markets and we now have root access as well as ClockworkMod Recovery for the device. If you happen to own this device and want to make your friends jealous by installing the root-only apps that don’t work on their unrooted devices, we highly recommend you to follow the guide given below. The root access will let you have root-only apps while the custom recovery offers great options such as flashing custom ROMs and taking device beyond your expectations. Let’s jump on to the guide below and get started:
1. This will void the warranty of the device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting the device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
2. Make sure your device is charged fully or has at least 70% of battery life left.
3. The following procedure is intended to work on GT-N8000, GT-N8010 and GT-N8013 models.
3. ClockworkMod Recovery (Download link’s given in the first post)
1. Download and place all the files you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Odin archive to your Desktop.
3. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
4. Copy the Superuser ZIP over to the root of your SD card.
5. Disconnect the device once file’s been copied.
6. Turn OFF the device.
7. Reboot the device into download mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
8. You should see a warning message on the screen, press Volume UP to continue.
9. Once in download mode, connect the device to your PC.
10. Double-click on the Odin executable file and it should launch.
11. In the Odin, click on PDA and select the ClockworkMod Recovery file you downloaded earlier.
12. Hit the Start button and it should begin flashing the recovery.
13. Once the recovery’s flashed, disconnect the device from your PC.
14. You’re done!
Great! The ClockworkMod Recovery has been successfully installed on the device and to gain root access, we’ll be flashing the Superuser file as described in the next section.
1. Turn OFF the device.
2. Reboot the device into Recovery Mode. To achieve this, press and hold the Volume UP+Power buttons together.
3. Once in Recovery Mode, choose install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
4. Select the Superuser ZIP you copied earlier to the device.
5. It should start flashing the file and you should get a message when it’s done.
6. Once it’s done, choose reboot system now from the Recovery Menu.
7. You’re all done!
Brilliant! Along with the ClockworkMod Recovery, you now have root access on the device as well and your mission to customize the device begins now!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 to learn how to do that.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!