HTC Droid DNA has already got root access and a custom recovery called ClockworkMod Recovery to enable root-only apps as well as custom ROMs. While there could be many ROMs for a device, the same can go for the recoveries as well and the Droid DNA now have another custom recovery called TWRP. The recovery stands at the version 2.3 with almost all those features present in the CWM Recovery, but to experience the difference, you should go for the aforementioned one. Follow the following guide and you’ll have TWRP Recovery installed right on your Droid DNA.
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. Check out our guide on how to root the HTC Droid DNA.
2. This will replace the current recovery on your device with TWRP Recovery.
3. The following procedure works on Windows based PCs only.
1. TWRP Recovery Image (Download link’s given in the Download section)
1. Place both the files you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Rename the Recovery Image you just downloaded to recovery.img. It’ll help to call the file easily at a later time.
3. Extract files from the Fastboot archive to your Desktop. Do NOT run any files just yet.
4. Turn OFF your device.
5. Reboot the device into Fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
6. Select Fastboot option from the list on your screen.
7. Once inside the Fastboot mode, connect the device to your PC via USB cable.
8. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do that, hold down the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, then choose Open command window here.
9. Type in following command into the Command Prompt Window you just launched:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
10. It’ll start flashing the recovery on your device.
11. When it’s done, issue the following command:
12. The device should reboot.
13. You’re all done!
Brilliant! Your device now has a custom recovery called TWRP Recovery and it offers same features as what you’d find in any other recovery, but with a bit of difference in user-interface!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the HTC Droid DNA to learn how to do that.
Image Credit: The Verge
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!