How to Root the Samsung Exhibit II 4G (SGH-T679)
Rooting a device is something that needs to be done if you desire something more from your device than what the device manufacturer intended for your device. This will open up a world of opportunities and you’ll be able to use root-requiring apps, make full backups of your device and even flash a custom recovery. If you want something like this on your Samsung Exhibit II 4G, this is the guide you should be reading.
I. Before You Begin
1. You will need to have ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your device before you begin. If you haven’t already done so, use our guide to help you with it.
2. Make sure that you have made a backup of everything you feel is important before you begin.
3. Make sure that you have your device charged to 75% and more before you begin.
4. This root procedure is known to work with the Exhibit II 4G running Android 2.3.6. Make sure that this is the firmware you are running before you begin.
II. Necessary Downloads
root-stock.zip [Download link available in this post]
III. Rooting the Samsung Exhibit II 4G
1. Connect your device to your PC and copy root-stock.zip to your internal SD.
2. Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this,i. Power down your device. ii. Press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons until you see the Samsung logo appear. iii. Release both buttons. iv. Press the left bottom Menu capacitive button when you see the Recovery logo (white box with the android icon).
4. On the next screen, select apply update from sdcard using the Volume Up and Down buttons to navigate and the Home button to select.
5. Highlight root-stock.zip on the next screen and press the Home button to select it.
Once the zip file is flashed, you should be rooted! To verify, install Root Checker Lite or any other root-requiring app and see if a pop-up appears asking for Superuser access when you try to open those apps.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.