How to Root the LG Optimus 2X on Ice Cream Sandwich
LG Optimus 2X got its taste of Ice Cream Sandwich in December last year and it forced the developers to find a new root method that works just on this version of the firmware. After a bit of hardwork, the developers finally created a working root method for the device and now in the following guide, we’re going to show you how you can use that method to root your LG Optimus 2X on ICS. Let’s get started:
I. Before You Begin:
1. You must be running on the Android 4.0.4 ICS.
2. This will void the warranty of the device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting the device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
3. The following procedure works on Windows based PCs only.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. Root Package (Download link’s given in the body of the post)
III. Rooting the LG Optimus 2X on Ice Cream Sandwich:
1. Place the Root Package archive on the Desktop of your PC.
2. Extract files from the archive to your Desktop. Don’t run any files just yet.
3. Turn OFF your device.
4. Remove the battery from the device.
5. Put the battery back into the device.
6. Now, hold down the Volume UP+Volume DOWN buttons together and connect the device to your PC using the USB cable.
7. Launch the Root Tool by double-clicking on Flash.bat file you have on your Desktop.
8. Follow the instructions displayed on your screen.
9. And you’re done!
Great! Your device is now rooted and you should find the Superuser app in your App Drawer. You may now install all of your favorite root-only apps on your device that you had before you updated to ICS!
IV. Flash a Custom Recovery Image (Optional):
1. If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the How To Flash a Custom Recovery Image on the LG Optimus 2X to learn how to do that.
Image Credit: UberGizmo
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.