AT&T branded LG Optimus G smartphone is no different in terms of specifications than the Sprint variant and it’s just the choice of users what carrier they’d like to go for. The smartphone is rootable on both the carriers and in the following guide, we’ll show how you can root the AT&T variant of the Optimus G device. Root access will allow you to change your firmware, install mods, install root-only apps and so on. So, let’s not wait and get to the work.
1. This should void the warranty of your device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting the device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
2. This works on Windows based PCs only.
3. Make sure you’ve appropriate drivers installed on your PC.
1. Root Package (Download link’s given in the first post, in step-4)
1. Download the Root Package archive to the Desktop of your PC.
2. Extract files from the archive to your Desktop. Don’t run any files just yet.
3. Enable the USB debugging function on your device by heading to Menu>>Settings>>Developer options>>USB debugging.
4. Once enabled, connect the device to your PC via USB cable.
5. Right-click on RootOptimusG.bat file you have on your Desktop and choose Run as administrator.
6. It’ll then guide you through the entire rooting process. Just follow the instructions you get on your screen.
7. Once it’s done, head over to Google Play and install the Superuser app.
8. You’re all done!
Congrats! Your device has been successfully rooted and you also have SuperSU app on the device. If you were planning to get some root-only apps on the device, now is the perfect time to do so!
1. If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the How To Flash a Custom Recovery Image on the LG Optimus G (AT&T) to learn how to do that.
Image Credit: GigaOM
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!