Just rooted your Acer Iconia Tab A510 and want to flash a custom recovery on it? No problem, here’s how you can do that. Installing a custom recovery on your device will allow you to play around with your favorite ROMs, make backups of your ROM as well as customize your device the way you want by installing Mods. If this sounds good to you, then just go ahead and flash a custom recovery on your device.
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. Please head to our Root Guide to learn how to root your device.
2. This works on Windows based PCs only.
3. Your device needs to have at least 60% of battery life left.
1. ClockworkMod Recovery (Download link’s available in the first post)
2. Remove Recovery (It’s attached in the first post)
1. Place all three files you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Extract files from Fastboot archive over to your Desktop.
3. Turn ON the USB debugging option on your device by simply heading to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development>>USB debugging.
4. Connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
5. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do that, simply hold down the Shift button and right-click anywhere on your Desktop and select Open command window here.
6. Type in following command into the Command Prompt Window:
adb reboot bootloader
7. Your device should reboot into the bootloader mode.
8. Once there, issue the following command:
fastboot oem unlock
9. Next, type in the following command:
10. Your device should reboot.
Great! You’ve successfully unlocked the bootloader of your device, now go ahead and flash the recovery:
1. Make sure your device is connected to your PC and the USB debugging option is enabled.
2. Extract files from the ClockworkMod Recovery archive over to your Desktop.
3. Copy the Remove Recovery zip over to the root of your SD card.
4. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop by holding down the Shift button and right-click anywhere on your Desktop and select Open command window here.
5. Type in following command into the Command Prompt Window:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Once your device boots into bootloader, issue the following command. Make sure to replace recovery.img with the actual name of the Recovery Image you extracted earlier.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
7. Now issue the following command and keep the Volume DOWN button pressed when doing so:
8. You’ll directly be taken to the newly installed recovery mode.
9. In the Recovery mode, select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
10. Choose the Remove Recovery file to be flashed on your device.
11. It’ll begin flashing the file and once it’s done, reboot your device.
12. You’re all done!
Excellent! You’ve successfully flashed CWM Recovery on your Iconia Tab A510 and have a great time playing around with your favorite ROMs!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Acer Iconia Tab A510 to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
Now that you are rooted, head here to learn some of the fun things you can do!
For all the devices we have rooting procedures for, head here.