PLEASE TRY OUR NEW, EASIER PROCEDURE AND SEE IF IT WORKS FOR YOU, IF NOT THEN COME BACK TO THIS PROCEDURE AND CONTINUE.
I. Read Before You Begin
1. Try the procedure as is first, then if you get a backup failed response from flash rec come back to this section for what you need to do BEFORE using the rest of the procedure.
Orange UK Users – Please downgrade your ROM version to 184.108.40.206 using this HTC Program. Then you can follow the rest of this procedure as it is written. Good luck!
Orange Spain Users – Just continue with the procedure as written, should work fine for you 🙂
Unbranded European Users – Please downgrade your ROM version to 1.76.405.1 using this HTC Program. Then you can follow the rest of this procedure as it is written. Good luck!
Sprint Users – Please downgrade your ROM version to 1.29.651.1 using this HTC Program. Then you can follow the rest of this procedure as it is written. Good luck!
T-Mobile UK Users – Please downgrade your ROM version to 220.127.116.11 using this HTC Program (link is gone, if anyone knows where to find the 18.104.22.168 RUU please post a link). Then you can follow the rest of this procedure as it is written. Good luck!
If None of The Above Worked For You – You may need to do things the hard way (goldcard method), do this procedure and then come back and follow the rest of this procedure.
II. Let’s Get Started
1. On your phone, goto Settings, Applications, and make sure Unknown source is checked ON.
2. On your phone, goto Settings, SD card and phone storage, and click Unmount SD card.
3. Then click Format SD card (it should automatically remount after this).
4. Plug the phone into the compuer via USB, then pull down the notification bar and click on the SD card notification. Then click mount.
5. Download this APK and recovery image and save it to your computer:
6. IMPORTANT UPDATE: Do NOT follow the video instructions from this point on (use them as a visual aid only!) We have replaced the Cyanogen Recovery Image with the Amon Ra one so when it says anything about the Cyanogen Recovery Image, just ignore that and put the Amon Ra one in it’s place. This is VERY IMPORTANT when typing into the FlashRec program. You will NOT be typing what is written in the video, type what is written here in this procedure instead!
7. Save both the recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2 and the FlashRec.apk to your computer, then copy them both to your SD card (do NOT put them inside any folders on the SD card, just put them on the SD card itself).
8. Unplug the phone from the computer once they are downloaded to the SD card.
9. Goto the Market and download Linda File Manager or any file manager program if you do not already have one.
10. Open the file manager and goto SDCard and then find the FlashRec apk file and click it. If asked tell it to use Package Installer to open it.Â It should automatically install the apk.
11. Open the FlashRec program and click on Backup Recovery Image and wait for it to finish.
12. Once done, click on the empty text box in the FlashRec program and type (again remember we have replaced the recovery image from the one in the video so type what is written here, NOT what is written in the video!):
Then click on the Flash Custom Recovery Image button (this button might say something else in different versions of Flashrec, but similar to this) and wait for it to finish.
13. Turn off the phone and turn it on into Recovery mode by holding down Home and Power to turn it on (keep holding until the recovery screen comes up has a bunch of text on a black background). So long as that screen comes up, you have done it correctly and can now go on to theÂ How to Load a ROM video for your appropriate device!
14. To get Root access you MUST go to the next video mentioned above and load a custom ROM.
Issue: It says Backup Failed/Flash Failed when trying to use the FlashRec program to flash the custom recovery image.
Solution: Try the older version of FlashRec (version 1.1.2).
Issue: When I download the FlashRec.apk it shows up as a .zip not an apk.
Solution: No problem. Do NOT extract it, just simply replace the .zip with .apk and then proceed with the procedure.
Issue: I don’t see the Flash Custom Recovery Image button (or anything similar).
Solution: This means you either are typing in the file name incorrectly or the file is not in the right place on the memory card. This button only shows up when you have the correct path in the text box and everything is spelled correctly.