I. Before You Begin
1. This is for Verizon Droids ONLY, not Milestones (GSM). For the Milestone go here.
2. THIS WILL ERASE YOUR DATA AND YOU MAY NEED TO REACTIVATE THE DROID TO LOGIN AFTER COMPLETING SECTION II.
II. Downgrade to 2.0.1 with RSDLite
1. Download RSD Lite, the 2.0.1 .sbf file, and the Motorola Drivers.
2. Install RSDLite by double clicking the RSD Lite.msi file you just downloaded.
3. Once RSDLite is installed, unzip the drivers folder you downloaded (32 bit OR 64 bit), then double click the Motorola Consumer Driver Installer application and install the drivers.
4. Plug in your phone to the computer via USB cable.
5. Turn the phone off while it is plugged in.
6. Turn on the phone by holding down Power and UP on the DPad of the keyboard on the phone.
7. Open the RSDLite program by right clicking it and selecting Run As Administrator.
8. Click on the “…” button next to the filename box and select the .sbf file you downloaded earlier.
9. Once it is selected, hit Start and wait for it to finish flashing the phone.
10. Once it is done, the phone should reboot and you are now on Android 2.0.1 stock and can continue.
III. Flash the Rooted Android 2.1 ROM
1. Download the rooted Android 2.1 Update.zip file:
2. Plug in your phone via USB cable and mount the MicroSD by pulling down the notification bar and clicking on the notification then clicking mount.
3. Copy the update.zip you just downloaded to the MicroSD card (NOT in any folders on the microsd, just on the root of the sd card itself).
4. Unplug the phone from the usb cable.
5. Turn the phone off and then turn if back on while holding down the X key on the qwerty keyboard.
6. When the ! symbol comes up on the screen, let go of the X key and then hold down Volume Up and the Camera button until a menu comes up.
7. On the menu use the dpad buttons to navigate to Apply Update and select it using the center dpad button.
8. Wait for it to finish updating then reboot the phone via the menu when it is done. Viola! Android 2.1 rooted on your Droid.
9. IF YOU WANT TO FLASH CUSTOM ROMS ETC., YOU MUST GOTO THE NEXT PROCEDURE ON HOW TO LOAD A CUSTOM ROM AND FLASH A RECOVERY IMAGE ETC.!