CHECK OUT OUR NEW EASIER PROCEDURE! – How To Root the HTC Evo 4G (Unrevoked Method)
I. Before You Begin
1. This will wipe all of your data so at least sync your contacts with Google before you begin.
II. Root the Phone
1. Download the rooted ROM:
2. Plug your phone in via USB cable and mount the sd card so we can transfer files to it.
3. Do NOT extract the PC36IMG.zip file! Simply copy to the root of the sd card (not in any folders just on the sd card itself).
4. Unplug the phone from the USB cable once it is transferred.
5. Turn off the phone then turn it back on by holding down Volume Down and Power until the white screen comes up.
6. It will find the PC36IMG.zip file and ask you if you want to update, select yes and wait for it to finish. Then select reboot when asked. You are now rooted!
III. (Optional) Load Custom ROMs etc.
1. Head over to our How To Load Custom ROMs procedure to be able to load custom ROMs, etc.
Thanks ToastCFH for the original procedure!