- THERE IS A NEW METHOD THAT WORKS ON THE MYTOUCH SLIDE (INCLUDING AFTER THE OTA!). PLEASE USE THAT METHOD INSTEAD!
- How To: Root the HTC MyTouch Slide (Exploid Method)
- I. Before You Begin
- II. Getting the Drivers to Work
- III. Setup the Android SDK
- IV. Setup the Rooting Files
- V. Root the Phone
- VI. (Optional) Load a Custom ROM
THERE IS A NEW METHOD THAT WORKS ON THE MYTOUCH SLIDE (INCLUDING AFTER THE OTA!). PLEASE USE THAT METHOD INSTEAD!
I. Before You Begin
1. This will give you root access on the MyTouch Slide.
II. Getting the Drivers to Work
1. Uninstall HTC Sync from your computer if you have it installed. Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Find HTC Sync and Uninstall it.
2. Download USBDeview to your computer.
3. Right click the USBDeview program and select Run As Administrator (if on Windows XP you can just double click it)
4. In the USB Deview program, click on Description at the top to sort by description. Search for all the T-Mobile MyTouch Slide drivers and right click each one (if there is more than one) and select Uninstall Device on each one. There should be no MyTouch Slide drivers left in the list when your done.
5. Download PDANet for Android
6. Install it with the phone NOT plugged in at first. Follow the PDANet Installation prompt and it will ask you what manufacturer (choose HTC) and then it will tell you to go on your phone to Settings > Applications > Development > and make sure USB Debugging is checked ON. Then plug in the phone and it should automatically install the drivers (including our hard to install ABD driver).
III. Setup the Android SDK
1. Follow our How To Setup ADB procedure and once you can see your phone’s serial number come back to this procedure and continue.
IV. Setup the Rooting Files
1. Download the Slide Root .zip file
2. Extract it somewhere on your computer and then take the “update.zip”, “ota.zip”, and “loop” from inside the extracted folder and put them in your AndroidSDK/Tools folder (they should be in the same place as the adb.exe file in there).
V. Root the Phone
1. Turn off the phone and turn it back on by holding down Volume Down and Power until HBoot comes up. Wait a sec for it to show installing drivers on your computer.
2. Now click Volume Down and then Power to select Recovery. Wait for the phone to boot into recovery mode (a phone with a !).
3. Pust Volume Up and Power at the same time to show the recovery menu.
4. Unplug the phone and plug it back in (this allows ADB to see it).
5. Now, on the computer open the command prompt (go to Start then type cmd and hit enter in the search bar). Then type the following in the command prompt with hitting enter at the end of each line:
(A serial number should pop up under devices attached a this point, if it does, continue:)
6. Using the volume down button and then power to select, choose Apply sdcard:update.zip and wait for it to fail (it will say installation aborted).
7 Now, type the following in to the command prompt with hitting enter at the end of the line:
adb push ota.zip /sdcard/update.zip
8. After that is complete type the following into the command prompt BUT DO NOT PUSH ENTER YET, THIS STEP IS ABOUT PUSHING IT AT THE CORRECT TIME BUT WE NEED THE COMMAND READY SO WE JUST HAVE TO PUSH ENTER LATER:
adb push update.zip /sdcard
9. On the phone select Apply sdcard:update.zip now and as soon as you see the bar at the bottom start to move, push enter in the command prompt on your computer to send the above command that we typed in (but didn’t hit enter before).
10. If it was successful, you will see ClockworkMod Recovery on your screen. Now, select Reboot System Now and you should have the Superuser app in your app drawer. If so, you have root and are all set!
VI. (Optional) Load a Custom ROM
1. Head over to our How To Load a Custom ROM on the HTC MyTouch Slide procedure.