I. Before You Begin
1. This should be the easiest method to root.
2. This should also work on any HTC Hero. (Please report in the comments if this does/does not work for you with your Hero’s firmware version, build number, and carrier it is locked to)
3. IF YOU HAVE A SPRINT HERO ON VERSION 2.27.651.6 OR HIGHER, please download this RUU and run it with the phone plugged in to downgrade to a rootable version of the phone’s firmware THEN continue with the procedure. (Thanks Ajan for this addition!)
II. Gain Root Access with AndRoot
1. Download AndRoot and save it to your computer.
2. Plug in your phone via USB cable and mount the sd card so we can transfer files to it.
3. Copy the Universal Androot .apk file to the root of the sd card (NOT in any folders, just on the sd card itself).
4. Unplug the phone.
5. Go to the Market on your phone and download Linda File Manager (it’s free, search for Linda).
6. Open Linda and look on the sd card for the Universal Androot .apk file and select it. Follow the prompts to install it.
7. Open Androot and click Root. Wait for it to finish.
8. You now have root access!
9. (Optional) If you want to load custom ROMs then please head to our next procedure; How To Load a Custom ROM.
Issue: It says I’m rooted but I don’t see superuser permissions.
Solution: Reboot the phone and it should appear.