If you’re anything like me, then you always have your iPhone in your hand or obnoxiously close to your body at all times. Hell, I even sleep with my iPhone under my pillow. It’s the last thing I look at before I go to sleep and the first thing I reach for in the morning. Sad, but true. So, when the unthinkable happens (you lose your iPhone, or worse it gets stolen) having the means to track it can save you from the horrible angst that accompanies a lost iPhone. It’s safe to say that if you own an iPhone you probably have at least one other Apple device in your gadget collection, which makes downloading the Find My iPhone app simply a no-brainer. This app allows you to use another one of your Apple devices to locate your lost device. Sadly, if your iPhone is not lost but stolen chances are you’ll never see your beloved device again but at least you can remotely lock or delete all of your data with the help of Find My iPhone. Continue to read to learn more.
- Locate your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac on a map
- Display a message on the screen
- Play a sound for two minutes at full volume (even if your device is set to silent)
- Remotely lock your device
- Remotely wipe your device to erase your personal data
- App is free
- Extremely easy to use
- You have to own at least one other iOS device to use this app
- iCloud must be enabled
How it works:
- Download the app on all of your Apple devices
- Sign in with your Apple ID and password
- Check to see that your devices are correctly synced
- If you lose one device, sign into the Find My iPhone app from another device
- After you are logged in you can tap to see on a map where your device is
- App also lets you display a message, play a sound, remotely lock your device, or erase your data on it
- iOS 5 or OS X Lion v10.7.2 is required for iCloud users (iOS 3.1.3 or later is required for MobileMe users).
- iCloud account (available free with iOS 5 or OS X Lion) or MobileMe account is required.
- Internet connection is required. To be located, your iPad with Wi-Fi, iPod touch, or Mac must be connected via a registered Wi-Fi network. Your Mac must also be awake.
In summary, Find My iPhone has saved me from serious lost-iPhone-anxiety on several occasions. This app does exactly what it promises to do, quickly, and without adding more stress to the situation. Hopefully this is not an app that you will have to use frequently, but having it downloaded is the best way to locate a lost device or safeguard your data remotely in the event of a theft. Don’t wait until your frantically tearing your house apart looking for your iPhone, just do yourself a solid and download the Find My iPhone app now.
Find My iPhone is available for free in the iTunes Store. Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.Requires iOS 3.1.3 or later. iTunes Link
This is part of our iOS App of the Day series. We take our favorite app for iOS for each day and post it here for you to check out. Feel free to check out all of our App of the Day posts here.