Installing a custom recovery is the next step to take if you have already rooted your phone. What can you do with a custom recovery you ask? Only the most important things like backing up your device and flashing a custom ROM. Read on then to know how to install xRecovery (a custom recovery built for the Xperia family) on the Sony Ericsson Xperia 8.
I. Before You Begin
1. Your device must be rooted before you can flash xRecovery on the Xperia X8. Use our guide to help you with this if you haven’t already done so.
2. Make sure that you have at least 75% of device’s battery charged before you begin.
3. Back up everything you feel is important before you start with this procedure.
II. Necessary Downloads
xRecovery0.1.rar [Link available in the first post of this thread]
III. Installing xRecovery on the Xperia X8
1. Install BusyBox on your device. You can do this by heading to the Play Store on your device or by going to the web version here, logging in with your device-associated Google account and clicking on Install.
2. Extract xRecovery0.1.rar to a folder on your desktop. You should end up with the following files:
3. Connect your device and copy the first three files to your device’s SD card. Disconnect your device from your PC.
4. Go to the Play Store again and install Root Browser Lite.
5. Open up Root Browser Lite on your device.
6. Press and hold on the system folder to bring up options. Then click on Permissions.
7. Tick all the checkboxes under Write and click OK. [Note down the CHMOD status before you change these; this is usually 0775, a number you can see at the bottom of the dialog box.]
8. Copy the three files you have on your SD card to /system/bin folder.
9. Hold and press on each file, click on permissions again and tick all boxes under Read, Write and Execute columns. [The CHMOD number at the bottom of the dialog box will be 0777].
10. Go back to the system folder and change the permissions to as they were previously.
And you’re done!! You should now have xRecovery installed on Xperia X8.
IV. Accessing xRecovery
1. Power down your device.
2. Keep pressing the Back button as soon as you see the white SE logo.
3. Use Volume Up and Down to move around the menu, Home button to select and the Back button to go back to previous menu.
V. Flashing Custom ROMs (Optional)
If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the next procedure to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.