The Alcatel One Touch 918N is for those with their minds wrapped around their purses than the latest specs, as it is a simple device running Android 2.3.3 with a 650MHz processor, dual SIM support, and a 3MP camera that won’t make a noticeable dent in your bank account. But with this cheap price tag comes lesser onboard memory, which means you install a few apps and the memory is full! A good way to solve this problem is to remove all the bloatware that accompanied the phone when you bought it and to do this you’ll have to root it before anything else. The guide below will show you just that – root the Alcatel One Touch 918N.
1. You stand to void your warranty by rooting your device; so make up your mind before you actually go ahead with this.
2. Back up anything you feel is important.
3. This procedure should work on any Alcatel One Touch 918N phone running Android 2.3.5 or 2.3.6.
1. alcatel-androidmanager-2-2-1206-455.exe [Alcatel PC Suite]
3. PdaNetA350.exe [Installs necessary Android drivers]
1. Double-click on alcatel-androidmanager-2-2-1206-455.exe to install the Alcatel PC Suite; this will install the necessary drivers for the procedure to work without problems.
2. Double-click on PdaNetA350.exe to install the PDANet drivers; select Others when prompted to select the manufacturer during installation.
3. Extract SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip to a folder on your desktop.
4. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do this, go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Developer Options and tick the USB Debugging checkbox.
5. Connect your device to your PC and if there are any drivers being installed at this point, let Windows 7 do so.
6. From the folder you extracted above, run SuperOneClick.exe.
7. Click on Root.
Your Alcatel One Touch 918N is now rooted!
1. Follow the same steps as in Section IV until Step 4.
2. Click on Unroot.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.