Running on the MetroPCs 4G Network, the Coolpad Quattro 4G is a smartphone manufactured by a Chinese company called Coolpad. The smartphone runs on the Android Gingerbread which is now an obsolete version of Android as most of the devices are running Android ICS or Jelly Bean. If you got this device and looking for a way to root it, look no further as we’ve the guide to root the device just below. Follow all the mentioned steps in the guide carefully and you should be rooted.
I. Before You Begin:
1. This will void the warranty of your device. You’re doing the procedure on your own.
2. Make sure your device has some good battery life left, we recommend at least 70%.
3. You should have drivers for your device installed on your PC.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. HBOOT (Download link’s in the first step)
III. Rooting the Coolpad Quattro 4G:
1. Download and place the HBOOT file onto your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the HBOOT archive to your Desktop. Do NOT launch any file just yet.
3. Turn ON the USB debugging option on your device from Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development>>USB debugging.
4. Connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
5. Choose Charge only as the connection type.
6. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do so, press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, then choose Open command window here.
7. Type in following commands into the Command Prompt Window. Make sure to press ENTER after each line:
adb push root/unrevoked-forever.zip /sdcard/
adb push root/mtd-eng.img /sdcard/
adb push pc36img/PC36IMG-ENG.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip
adb push pc36img/PC36IMG-MR.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG-MR.zip
adb push root/flash_image /data/local/
adb -d install -r root/z4root.apk
8. Open the z4Root app on your device that just got installed using above commands.
9. In the app, tap on Temp Root button.
10. Come back to the Command Prompt and type in following commands:
11. You should see a # sign, that means your device is temporary rooted.
12. Now, type in following commands in the Command Prompt to make a backup of your current ROM:
Cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/nandroid/RSA-PR-BACKUP/wimax.img
busybox sed -n /BEGIN CERTIFICATE/,$p /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/rsa_OEM.key
13. Next, issue the following commands:
chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image
./data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
14. Reboot your device into bootloader mode by typing in following command:
15. When the device boots up into bootloader mode, it should ask you whether you want to install the ZIP file. Say Yes and then go to next step.
16. The installation could take around 10 minutes, so be patient.
17. When it’s done, reboot your device.
18. Turn OFF your device and pull the battery out of it.
19. Put in the battery back in your device.
20. Press and hold the Volume DOWN+Power buttons together and then choose bootloader option.
21. Now, in the Command Prompt Window, type in following commands:
adb push recovery /
adb shell busybox Cinstall /sbin
adb shell nohup /sbin/recovery
22. You should be in Recovery mode now.
23. Choose install zip from sdcard and select the unrevoked-forever.zip file you pushed earlier to your device.
24. When it’s been flashed, reboot your device.
25. Change the connection type from Charge only to Mass Storage by pulling the notification bar on your device.
26. Your device should be mounted as a drive on your PC.
27. Open the storage of your device on your PC and delete the file named PC36IMG.zip.
28. Rename the file labeled PC36IMG-MR.zip to PC36IMG.zip.
29. Turn OFF your smartphone.
30. While your device’s turned OFF, press and hold the Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
31. You should enter the bootloader mode.
32. It should ask you if you want to update your device, hit Yes.
33. After your device is updated, reboot it.
34. You’re all done!
Cheers! Your phone now have root access as well as a custom recovery to flash custom ROMs. If you’ve been waiting to try out custom ROMs or root-only apps on your device, now is the time to do that!
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.