Locked Bootloader of the Motorola Droid RAZR HD (Verizon) has prevented many developers to develop various recoveries and all that stuff that require the bootloader to be unlocked. While it was not possible to force Verizon to ship the device with unlocked bootloader, some of the developers over at XDA found out a simple solution in the form of a safestrap recovery. The said recovery resides on the separate partition on your device leaving the main partition untouched, therefore it works pretty well even on locked bootloader. To learn how you can get the aforementioned recovery on your device, just follow our guide below.
1. You must have done our How to Root the Motorola Droid RAZR HD (Verizon) procedure.
2. The recovery you’re going to install is based on TWRP Recovery.
1. Safestrap Recovery APK (Download link’s given in the first post)
2. ES File Explorer (Google Play Link)
1. Download and place the Safestrap Recovery APK file onto the Desktop of your PC.
2. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
3. Copy the APK file over to the root of your SD card.
4. Unplug the device from your PC once the file’s copied.
5. On your device, head to Menu>>Settings>>Security and enable the Unknown sources option.
6. Download and install the ES File Explorer app on your device using the link provided above.
7. Once installed, launch it from the Menu.
8. In the app, find the APK file you copied earlier and tap on it and install it.
9. Once it’s installed, launch it from the Menu.
10. Select Install Recovery option in the app.
11. Follow the on-screen instructions.
12. And you’re all set!
Great! Your device is now all set to acquire the custom ROMs that have been developed for your device.
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Motorola Droid RAZR HD (Verizon) to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here and here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.