Rooting may be the first step to flashing custom ROMs on your device but it’s installing a custom recovery that’s the most important. This will replace your stock recovery with a recovery that will enable you to not only flash custom ROMs but also make/restore backups and clear cache/data among other things. The guide below will help you do the same and install custom recovery (ClockworkMod Recovery in this case) on your Epic 4G to get you flashing custom ROMs based on newer Android versions in no time!
1. You will need to be rooted before you can flash ClockworkMod Recovery on your device. Use our guide on the same to help you if you aren’t already rooted.
3. Charge your device to 75% or more before you begin.
1. Put your device into Download mode. To do this, power down your device; press and hold the 1 key on the device’s keyboard while turning it on.
2. Extract the Odin 1.85.rar file you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.
3. From the extracted folder, double-click on Odin3 v1.85.exe to run the tool.
4. Click on PDA button, locate cwm-184.108.40.206-epic4g.tar.md5 and click on OK to load it on Odin.
5. Connect your device to your PC. The ID:COM field on Odin should light up yellow signifying that it has recognized your device.
6. Make sure that the Re-Partition and Flash Lock are unchecked; this is important as you might brick your device if these options are ticked!
7. Click on Start.
Once the device reboots, you should have ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your Epic 4G! You can now flash custom ROMs of your choice or make backups if you would like that.
If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the next procedure to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.