We know this device has been around for a long time but if you do own it still, wouldn’t you want something more from this yesteryear star? If you answered yes, rooting it is the first step to get there and that’s what we’re going to show you in this guide below – rooting the Samsung Epic 4G so you use root-requiring apps and (after installing ClockworkMod Recovery) make/restore backups, flash custom ROMs, etc, that are based on newer Android versions than the ones it came with or got updated to.
1. Make sure that you back up everything you feel is important before you start with the procedure.
2. Charge your device to 75% or more before you begin.
3. This procedure is designed to work with the Samsung Epic 4G running stock Gingerbread (Android 2.3.x). If you are running anything lower than this, update your device to Gingerbread and come back here to try it again.
GingerBreak-v1.20.apk [File attached to this post]
1. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do this, go to Settings > Applications > Development and tick the USB Debugging checkbox.
2. Enable installation of apps from unknown sources. To do this, go to Settings > Applications and tick the Unknown Sources checkbox.
3. Connect your device to your PC and copy GingerBreak-v1.20.apk to your device’s SD card (You could also download the apk file directly from your device’s browser and eliminate the need for a PC completely).
4. Using a file manager, navigate to the location of GingerBreak-v1.20.apk and install it.
5. Once installed, open up the app drawer and tap on the GingerBreak icon to open it.
6. Tap on Root device.
7. Wait for the app to do its thing and reboot your device on its own.
After your device reboots, it should be permanently rooted and have the Superuser app installed!
1. Follow the same steps as in Section III until Step 5.
2. Tap on UnRoot device.
If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the next procedure to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
iPhone Screens and Light Kits on sale for a limited time! Head to the shop to check it out! Dismiss