Sony Xperia S already enjoys the ClockworkMod Recovery and now has come another custom recovery, named TWRP Recovery for the Xperia S. The recovery has a lot to offer its users and some of the features include — making nandroid backups, flashing custom ROMs and so on. Such features are useful as they help you get your device back to its working condition without losing your data, in case you have messed up with it. The following guide shows how you can install TWRP Recovery on your Sony Xperia S smartphone, follow it and enjoy a customizable custom recovery experience on your device!
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. Please head to our How to Root the Sony Xperia S procedure first, finish it, then return to this procedure and continue.
2. This will replace your current recovery with the TWRP Recovery.
1. TWRP Recovery (Download the version having .elf as extension)
1. Place both the files you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Fastboot archive to your Desktop. You’ll get fastboot.exe along with some other files.
3. Turn OFF your device.
4. Reboot the device into Fastboot Mode. To do that, simply hold down the Volume UP+Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
5. You will see a menu on your screen which indicates that you’re in Fastboot mode.
6. Connect the device to your PC using the USB cable.
7. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do so, press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, then select Open command window here.
8. Type in following command into the Command Prompt Window. Make sure to replace filename.elf with the actual name of the file you downloaded.
fastboot flash boot filename.elf
9. Once the file is flashed, issue following command:
10. Your device will reboot.
11. And you’re all set!
Awesome! Your Xperia S has successfully been equipped with the TWRP Recovery and you should be able to use it right away!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Sony Xperia S to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
iPhone Screens and Light Kits on sale for a limited time! Head to the shop to check it out! Dismiss