No matter what version of Android firmware you’re running on your Xperia X8, you can still get the ClockworkMod Recovery on it to flash custom ROMs and Mods. Sadly, the device never got any update after it was updated to Android Eclair, however, with a custom recovery you should be able to bump up your firmware version, almost instantly. Let’s see how you can install ClockworkMod Recovery on your Sony Xperia X8.
I. Before You Begin:
1. You must have rooted your Xperia X8 before doing this procedure. Please head to our How to Root the Sony Xperia X8 procedure first, finish it, then return to this procedure and continue.
2. The following procedure works on Windows based PCs only.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. RecoverX (Download link’s available in the first post)
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the Sony Xperia X8:
1. Download and place the RecoverX archive onto your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the archive to your Desktop.
3. Turn ON the USB debugging option on your device by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development>>USB debugging.
4. Once it’s been enabled, connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
5. Launch the RecoverX tool by double-clicking on its executable file available on your Desktop.
6. From the Brand dropdown menu, select Sony Ericsson.
7. Select Xperia X8 from the Device dropdown menu.
8. Click Next and it should start downloading and flashing the recovery.
9. Once it’s done, reboot your device for the changes to take effect.
10. You’re done!
Awesome! Your Xperia X8’s now rocking ClockworkMod Recovery and now is the perfect time to give it some ROM love!
IV. Flash a Custom ROM (Optional):
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Sony Xperia X8 to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.