Every Android device has, what is called, a recovery image on it. This is basically a part of the Android operating system that you or the manufacturer can access if your device becomes unresponsive and then use it to restore your device.
A custom recovery image, however, is a recovery image that a developer has altered that can not only help the device if it becomes responsive, but also has the added benefits of allowing us to make major changes to the operating system and have even further customizations on your device.
In this procedure, we’ll show you how to flash a custom recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Sprint).
After flashing a custom recovery on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Sprint), you’ll be able to:
- Perform full backups of your device (literally save EVERYTHING from it).
- Increase your device’s performance (after flashing something called a kernel
- Increase your device’s battery life.
- Flash custom ROMs (these make it possible to flash a newer version of Android, totally new user interfaces, add tons of new features, and much more).
Interested? Here’s how to flash a custom recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Sprint):
I. Before You Begin
1. You must be rooted before you can do this procedure. Please head to our root guide and root your device first, then come back to this procedure and continue.
2. This should only work on Windows based PCs.
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Odin and save it to your Desktop.
2. Download TWRP Recovery and save it to your Desktop.
TWRP Recovery (Download the version that ends with .tar extension)
III. Flashing a Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Sprint)
1. Extract files from Odin by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Double-click on Odin executable and it’ll open.
3. Click on PDA and choose the TWRP Recovery you have saved on your Desktop.
4. Make sure Repartition is unchecked.
5. Turn OFF your device.
6. Turn it back on by holding down Volume DOWN+Home+Power buttons together.
7. Press Volume UP button.
8. You should now be in Download mode.
9. Plug in your device to your PC using the USB cable.
10. Hit Start in the Odin and it’ll start flashing the recovery on your device.
11. Once the recovery’s been flashed, reboot your device.
12. You’re all done!
All set! Now, you can head to our How to Flash a Custom ROM procedure for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Sprint) to open up a whole new world of customizations for your Android device!
By the way, don’t be scared, you can always put your device back to stock by heading to our Rooting How To’s section, finding your device, and doing the How to Unroot listed for it there.