Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights on your Android device. Once we root our Android device, we can then make changes to it to customize it well beyond what it normally can do.
Once you have root access on your Samsung Galaxy S5 (Canadian), you’ll be able to:
Interested? Here’s how to root your Samsung Galaxy S5 (Canadian):
1. This will void the warranty of your device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting your device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
2. This should only work on Windows based PCs.
3. You should have appropriate drivers installed on your PC. If you don’t, you can download the latest drivers from here.
4. This procedure only works for the SM-G900W8 variant of the device.
1. Download Odin and save it to your Desktop.
2. Download CF-Root for your SM-G900W8 and save it to your Desktop.
CF-Root (Download link’s available in the third post)
1. Extract files from both Odin and CF-Root by right-clicking on each of them and selecting Extract here.
2. Double-click on Odin executable and it’ll launch.
3. Click on PDA and choose the CF-Root file you just extracted to your Desktop.
4. Make sure Repartition is unchecked in the Odin.
5. Checkmark the boxes that say Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time.
6. Turn OFF your device.
7. Turn it back on by holding down Volume Down, Home, and Power buttons together.
8. Press Volume Up and you should be in Download mode.
9. Plug in your device to your PC using the USB cable.
10. Click on Start in the Odin and it’ll start flashing the root file on your device.
11. Once flashed, your device should automatically reboot.
12. You’re now rooted!
All set! Now, you can head to our How to Flash a Custom Recovery procedure for the Samsung Galaxy S5 (Canadian) to open up a whole new world of customizations for your Android device!
By the way, don’t be scared, you can always put your device back to stock by heading to our Rooting How To’s section, finding your device, and doing the How to Unroot listed for it there.