Maybe you’ve had enough fun with your rooted Sony Xperia Z3? Maybe you want to go back to stock? Either way, this guide should help you unroot your device and get it back to stock. It’ll also install all of the system apps and reset everything to factory settings. Here’s how to unroot your device:
Unrooting is the process of removing root access, a custom recovery (if you have one), and just trying to get the device back to as close to stock as possible.
Some of the reasons for unrooting your Sony Xperia Z3 are:
- Sending in the device for warranty (most, but not all unrooting procedures reinstate the manufacturer warranty if you had one before rooting).
- Starting over (simply undoing everything you did while rooted so you can have a clean slate to start over).
- Fix any issues (Maybe rooting messed something up? No problem, unrooting will take care of it for you).
Ready to get started? Here’s how to unroot the Sony Xperia Z3:
I. Before You Begin
1. You should’ve rooted your device using the procedure given here.
2. This only works for the D6603 variant of the device.
3. This should only work on Windows based PCs.
4. This should flash the stock firmware on your device.
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Flashtool and save it to your desktop.
2. Download Stock Firmware and save it to your desktop.
III. Unrooting the Sony Xperia Z3
1. Double-click on Flashtool executable and follow the on-screen installation instructions.
2. Copy Stock Firmware .ftf file from your desktop over to the firmwares folder available where you installed Flashtool.
3. Double-click on Flashtool executable and it’ll launch.
4. Click on Flash icon, select Flashmode, and hit OK.
5. You should now see all of the firmwares that exist in the firmwares folder. Click on yours and hit Flash.
6. Turn OFF your device.
7. Hold down Volume DOWN and plug in your device to your PC using the USB cable.
8. The tool should automatically start flashing the selected firmware on your device.
9. When the firmware’s flashed, reboot your device.
10. You’re all done!
Excellent! Your Sony Xperia Z3 is now unrooted and is running the official stock firmware. You can now start customizing your device from scratch.
You can click here to find all of the Sony Xperia Z3 How To’s.
You can also find all of the Sony Xperia Z3 ROMs we have here.