Last year Sony released their mid-range device the Sony Xperia C3 to pretty good reviews. People loved camera, the screen utilizing Sony’s proprietary Bravia engine, the fact that it’s water resistant, and, of course, the price. But, what if you’re getting a little bored with the device? Or maybe you’re just sick of Sony’s UI? Well, it might be time to root it.
Rooting the Sony Xperia C3 is the the process of gaining administrative rights on the phone so you can change all aspects of the software. From removing Sony’s UI, as mentioned, to overclocking the phone and other advanced customizations, rooting can allow you to breathe new life into your aging handset.
In order to take advantage of these features, you need to first root the Xperia C3. Thankfully, however, Sony makes it a lot easier by letting you unlock the device’s bootloader via there own site. Once the bootloader is unlocked, we can flash custom firmware to the device much easier than having to hack the device to let us (as is the case with other manufacturers that haven’t gotten on board with the idea of letting people root their own devices –looking at you, Samsung).
So, without further ado, here’s how to root the Sony Xperia C3.
I. Before You Begin
1. This should void the warranty of your device. We won’t be held responsible if your device gets damaged during or after the procedure. Please go ahead at your own risk.
2. You must have unlocked the bootloader on your device before you can do this procedure. Please head to the Sony website to learn how you can unlock your bootloader.
3. You must be running a Windows based PC to do this procedure.
4. This should also flash a custom recovery on your device.
5. You must be running build number 391 on your device.
How to Root the Sony Xperia C3
What you’re going to do is flash a custom recovery on your Xperia C3 and then install the SuperSU package to obtain root-access. Once that’s all done, your device will be completely rooted along with a custom recovery running on it. Here’s how:
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Flashtool and save it to your desktop.
2. Download CWM Recovery and save it to your desktop.
3. Download SuperSU and save it to your desktop.
III. Flashing a Custom Recovery on the Sony Xperia C3
1. Extract files from CWM Recovery to your desktop by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Double-click on Flashtool setup file to install the tool on your PC.
3. When the tool is installed, launch it by double-clicking on its icon.
4. Turn off your device.
5. Hold down Volume UP on your device and plug it in to your PC using a USB cable.
6. Click on Flash icon in the Flashtool.
7. Select Fastboot mode as the flashing mode.
8. Click on Select kernel to flash and select CWM Recovery available on your desktop.
9. Wait for the tool to install CWM Recovery on your device.
10. When it’s done installing recovery, reboot your device.
And you’re done. The CWM Recovery was successfully installed on your Xperia C3, and here’s how you can use it to gain root-access on your device.
IV. Rooting the Sony Xperia C3
1. Connect your device to your PC using a USB cable.
2. Copy SuperSU from your PC over to the internal SD card storage on your device.
3. When SuperSU is copied, disconnect your device from your PC.
4. Turn off your device.
5. Turn your device back on in recovery mode by holding down Volume UP and Power buttons at the same time.
6. Once in recovery mode, select Install zip.
7. Select Install zip from storage and choose SuperSU to be installed on your device.
8. Confirm the prompt and wait for it to install SuperSU on your device.
9. When it’s done installing SuperSU, reboot your device.
10. You’re all done!
Your Sony Xperia C3 is now rooted. Not only did you just root your device, but you also flashed a custom recovery on it which will let you flash a custom ROM on your device so go check that out.
Let us know if it worked for you in the comments below!