Perhaps you’re done playing with root and custom ROMs on your Sony Xperia M2 Dual or perhaps you need to sell the device and get it back to stock? Regardless of the reason, it’s pretty easy to unroot your device and usually involves just flashing the stock firmware from the manufacturer onto the phone to get it back to an out-of-box state.
Some of the reasons for unrooting your Sony Xperia M2 Dual are:
Sending in the device for warranty (most, but not all unrooting procedures reinstate the manufacturer warranty if you had one before rooting).
Starting over (simply undoing everything you did while rooted so you can have a clean slate to start over).
Fix any issues (Maybe rooting messed something up? No problem, unrooting will take care of it for you).
Ready to get started? Here’s how to unroot the Sony Xperia M2 Dual:
1. You should have rooted your device using our how to root the Sony Xperia M2 Dual procedure.
2. This procedure requires you to have a Windows based PC.
3. You should have the Sony USB drivers installed on your PC. If you don’t, install them first.
4. This should wipe off all the data stored on your device. So backup anything that is important for you.
5. This procedure only works for the D2303 model of the device. You should not try this on any other device or you’ll brick it.
To unroot the device, you’re going to flash a stock ROM using Flashtool on your device. That way your device will be back to the stock with no root access.
1. Download Flashtool and save it to your desktop.
2. Download Stock ROM and save it to your desktop.
1. Double-click on Flashtool setup file and follow the on-screen instructions for installing the tool on your PC.
2. Copy Stock ROM .ftf file from your desktop over to the firmwares folder which is located where you have installed the Flashtool.
3. Double-click on Flashtool and it’ll launch.
4. Click on Flash icon in the tool.
5. Click on your stock ROM in the firmwares list.
6. Click on OK in the bottom-right corner of the tool.
7. Turn off your device.
8. Hold down Volume DOWN and plug in your device to your PC.
9. The tool should automatically start flashing stock ROM on your device.
10. Wait for the tool to install stock ROM on your device.
11. When the tool’s done flashing the ROM, reboot your device.
All set! You are now running stock firmware on your Sony Xperia M2 Dual and have unrooted it.
Let me know if this worked for you in the comments below!