If you went ahead and rooted your Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon) despite the carrier’s restrictions and now wish to get back to stock, you do have a way to do that.
There are various reasons as to why you wish to unroot your Galaxy S5. Maybe the root-only apps didn’t cut it for you, or maybe you have issues with the software on your device and you think flashing back the stock firmware should solve that for you. In many cases, flashing the stock firmware has solved most of the software related issues as the procedure just removes everything from your device and puts back all the stock stuff which is considered to be the most stable stuff.
Regardless of the reasoning, here’s how to unroot your Samsung Galaxy S5 from Verizon and get it back to stock:
I. Before You Begin
1. You should’ve rooted your device using our how to root the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 procedure.
2. This should get your device back to the stock.
3. This will wipe off everything stored on your device; so please backup everything that you wish to keep.
4. You must have a PC that runs Windows in order to do this procedure.
5. You should have Samsung USB drivers installed on your PC. Install them if they aren’t already.
6. You should only try this on the SM-G900V variant of the device.
How to Unroot the Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
To unroot the device, you’ll flash the stock firmware using Odin. That’ll remove root-access and get your device back to the stock. Here’s how to do that:
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Odin and save it to your desktop.
2. Download Stock Firmware and save it to your desktop.
III. Unrooting the Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
1. Uncompress files from both Odin and Stock Firmware by right-clicking on each of them and selecting Extract here.
2. Double-click on Odin executable and it’ll launch.
3. When the Odin launches, click on PDA and navigate to your desktop and select Stock Firmware .tar to be flashed on your device. That’s the file that you’ve extracted from the archive.
4. Uncheck the Repartition option if it’s already checkmarked in the Odin.
5. Checkmark both Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options in the Odin.
6. Turn off your device.
7. Reboot your device into download mode by holding down Volume DOWN, Home, and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
8. Hit Volume UP when prompted and you’ll be in download mode.
9. Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
10. Hit Start in the Odin and it’ll start flashing stock firmware on your device.
11. Wait for the Odin to flash the firmware on your device.
12. When the Odin’s done flashing firmware, your device should automatically reboot.
13. You’re now unrooted!
Awesome! Your Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy S5 is now unrooted and is back to the stock firmware that it came shipped with.
Your device is now as new as it was when you first unboxed it – no customizations at all.