If you ever want to try out an Android phone without damaging your wallet, then Samsung’s Duos series is for you. These phones are inexpensive phones that run Android and also have dual SIM slots for you to be connected two carriers at the same time.
One of these phones is the Samsung Galaxy S Duos 3. The phone has a decent version of Android, has a 1GHz dual-core processor, and has 4GB internal storage. As for the other specs, they’re good but not so great as, of course, being a budget phone it really can’t have all the bells and whistles you get from other expensive phones like Pixel and Pixel XL.
However, one thing that’s common between those really expensive phones and this good-on-wallet phone is root access. The Samsung Galaxy S Duos 3 has been rooted and you too can gain root on your model and get introduced to a whole new world of customizations for your phone.
From being able to remove stock apps to installing root-only apps, you can do almost anything you want when your phone is rooted. Gaining root on the Samsung Galaxy S Duos 3 is as easy as flashing a ROM using Odin and then using an app to install SuperSU.
If you’re wondering how it’s done, here’s the complete guide for you:
Before You Begin
- This could void the warranty of your device. We won’t be held responsible for anything that happens from doing this tutorial so please proceed at your own risk.
- You must have a Windows based PC to do this procedure as the tool that you’re going to use in the following procedure is Windows only.
- You should have Samsung USB drivers installed on your Windows PC. Install the drivers if they aren’t already.
- Please backup the data stored on your device before you do this procedure.
- You should only do this on a Samsung Galaxy S Duos 3 (SM-G316HU).
How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S Duos 3 (SM-G316HU)
To root the device, you’ll first flash a firmware using Odin and then use the Kingoroot app to actually root the phone. Here’s how to do that:
Downloading Required Files
- Download the Phone ROM and save it to your desktop.
Phone ROM (it’s a torrent file so you need to use Bittorrent to download it)
- Download Odin and save it to your desktop.
- Download Kingoroot and save it to your desktop.
Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S Duos 3 (SM-G316HU)
- Extract files from both Phone ROM and Odin archives over to your desktop by right-clicking on each of them and selecting Extract here.
- When the files are extracted, double-click on Odin executable and it’ll launch.
- Turn off your device.
- Turn your device back on in download mode by pressing and holding down Volume DOWN, Home, and Power buttons together.
- Press Volume UP to enter the download mode.
- Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
- Click on PDA in the Odin and select the ROM file you extracted from the Phone ROM archive to be flashed on your device.
- Make sure only F. Reset Time and Auto Reboot options are checkmarked in the Odin.
- Click on Start in the Odin and it’ll start flashing the ROM on your device.
- When the ROM’s flashed, your device will automatically reboot.
- When your device reboots, head to Menu > Settings > About phone and tap on Build number for 7 times and it will say you are a developer.
- Head to Menu > Settings > Developer options and turn on USB debugging.
- Ensure your device is connected to your PC.
- Double-click on Kingoroot and install the app on your PC.
- Launch the app once it’s installed.
- Click on Root in the app and it’ll begin rooting your device.
- Wait for the app to successfully gain root access on your device.
- When the app’s done rooting your device, reboot your device.
Your Samsung Galaxy S Duos 3 (SM-G316HU) should now be rooted and you should have SuperSU running on your device.
Now that you have root on your phone, you may want to load it up with your favorite root-only apps. Head over to the Google Play Store and find and install the apps that you think can help you customize your phone to a greater extent.
Let us know how this worked for you!