How To Get Android Jelly Bean on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus Right Now (GSM and Verizon Versions)
With the announcement of Jelly Bean, Google’s latest iteration of the Android operating system, yesterday at Google’s I/O Developer conference, the same thought is on everyone’s mind. WHEN DO I GET IT?! Well, for Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, and Motorola Xoom users the update is coming over the air to you sometime in mid-July, as for everyone else, that depends on your carrier and manufacturer.
So, what if you’re impatient like myself? Well, so long as you have a GSM Galaxy Nexus or a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, you’re in luck. Thanks to some developers at XDA, you can flash the Jelly Bean update to your device after being rooted with a custom recovery image.
I. Before You Begin.
1. This will erase your device. So long as you’ve synced with Google though your contacts and purchased apps will come back after you sync. As for pictures, save them to your computer from your phone, just in case.
II. Root Your Galaxy Nexus and Flash a Custom Recovery
1. If you have already rooted your device and have a custom recovery on it skip down to section III and continue from there.
2. Head to our How To Root the Galaxy Nexus procedure, finish it and return here to continue. *If you have issues with the procedure, make sure to read the Reported Issues at the bottom of that procedure.
III. Flash the Jelly Bean ROM for Your Device
1. Download the appropriate ROM for your device and save it to your computer. Do NOT unzip it.
2. Download the rooting file to flash after the ROM so you regain root access.
3. Plug in your device via USB.
4. Copy the ROM zip and the SuperSU zip to the root of your internal storage (NOT in any folders, just on the internal storage itself).
5. Unplug your device.
6. Turn off your device.
7. Turn it back on by holding down Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power until the bootloader screen comes up.
8. Tap Volume Up until you see the Start text turn into Recovery, then hit the power button.
9. Once you boot into recovery, select backup and restore then backup. Wait for it to finish backing up your device (just in case).
10. Select Install Zip from SDcard.
11. Select Choose Zip from SDcard.
12. Select the ROM .zip file you put on the internal storage. Select Yes to confirm. Wait for it to finish flashing.
13. Once, done, hit Wipe Data/Factory Reset then Yes to confirm. Wait for it to finish.
IV. Regain Root Access
1. While still in recovery mode from above, select Install Zip from SDcard.
2. Select Choose Zip from SDcard.
3. Select the CWM SuperSU .zip file then select yes to confirm.
4. Once done, select Reboot System Now.
If this procedure helped you please head to the ROM developers pages where you downloaded the ROMs from and donate/thank them! Also, donate within the Galaxy Nexus tool kit and Root programs to help those developers out as well! Without them, the Android ecosystem wouldn’t be what it is today!
Let me know if this works for you etc so we can adjust it for others. Thanks as always!