How To: Unlock Your iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS (3.0.1 Firmware)
So like the iPhone but not so keen on AT&T? Or maybe you want to travel over the pond to Europe and would rather not get hit with the ridiculous international roaming charges?
No problem, here is how to unlock your iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS on firmware 3.0.
UPDATE July 31st 2009: THE NEW 3.0.1 FIRMWARE IS OUT, IF YOU HAVE THIS FIRMWARE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO JAILBREAK YET (UNTIL WE CAN JAILBREAK 3.0.1). WHEN THAT HAPPENS, WE WILL POST AN UPDATE IN THIS POST.
1. Follow the procedure for the How To: Jailbreak Your iPhone and then come back to this procedure.
2. After you have jailbroken your iPhone, goto Settings > General > Network and then turn OFF 3G and turn ON Data Roaming.
3. Goto to Settings > WiFi and then turn ON Wifi and connect to a Wifi Network that you have access to.
4. Now, Â open Cydia on the second page of the home screen.
5. If this is the first time opening Cydia, it will “reorganize” itself and automatically close. Open it back up after it is done.
6. Select Upgrade Essential when it asks about the upgrades it found and then click Install.
7. Once that is installed and Cydia closes, open it back up and click on Manage, then Sources.
8. Then click on Edit at the top right and then click Add at the top left.
9. In the URL input field that pops up, we are going to type (make sure that the 0 in “ultrasn0w” is the number zero not the letter o):
then click Add Source.
10. After it refreshes the Sources, click Done at the top right.
11. Then click on the UltraSn0w source at the top of the list and it will slide to the left to reveal the UltraSnow application.
12. Click on the UltraSn0w application and click Install then Confirm.
13. It will install and ask you to click Return to Cydia. Do so then click the Home button and turn off the phone.
14. Turn the phone back on, and put in any SIM card you like to test that you have an unlocked iPhone!
Optional: To get internet access for T-Mobile here in the US:
I. Goto Settings > General > Network and make sure 3G is OFF and Data Roaming is ON.
II. Goto Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network and in the field marked APN type one of the following (some work better for others):
III. Leave the Username and Password fields blank and then click the Home button. Open Safari browser and test it out.