Hate using the Zune software to load files on to your Windows Phone 7 device? Ya, me too. Well here’s how to transfer files from your computer to your Windows Phone 7 device without the Zune software; after this quick fix, simply plug in the phone and drag and drop files to it’s folder that appears. Ah, much better now, no?
1. Just be careful what things you change in the registry. Make sure you only alter the registry entries we mention here to avoid unwanted changes to your computer.
2. Install the Zune software from Microsoft (we need it to be installed for the drivers it provides). You can get it here if you don’t already have it.
3. Plug your phone in to install the drivers.
1. Open the Windows Registry Editor on your computer by going to the Start menu and typing in regedit and hitting enter.
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Enum > USB
3. Then click on Edit > Find and type in ZuneDriver to search for it.
4. Once it finds it, select/highlight the folder above where ever it found ZuneDriver called Device Parameters.
5. In that folder, change the following options by right clicking them and selecting Modify:
6. Now, unplug and plug your Windows Phone 7 device back in and the Zune software should open, BUT you can close it and then go to your normal file explorer and navigate your Windows Phone 7 device as if it was a USB Storage device. Enjoy!
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.