I can’t be the only one that finds this stupid feud between Facebook and Google sharing data with one another to be completely ridiculous and hurting no one but the consumer. One of the downsides is that the Facebook syncing doesn’t work with the People app in Ice Cream Sandwich (or on the Galaxy Nexus for that matter). This means your Facebook contact pics, status updates etc won’t show up in those people’s contact cards like it is supposed.
Well, thanks to Paul over at Modaco, we have a solution.
1. You must have done our How To Root the Samsung Galaxy Nexus procedure. If you haven’t do that and then come back to this one to continue.
2. You must have also done our How To Load a Custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus procedure and loaded any custom ROM you want initially. Once you’ve done that, you can come back to this procedure and continue.
1. Download Modaco’s latest ROM AND the ROM update package underneath it as well from his site (it will take a while as his download host is quite slow and doesn’t allow you to download multiple files at once).
2. Plug in your phone via USB cable.
3. Copy the MCR ROM .zip file AND the Add on .zip file over to the internal storage of your device. Make sure not to put it in any folders and to not unzip it.
4. Unplug the device.
5. Turn the device off.
6. Turn the device back on by holding down Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power at the same time. Let go once the bootloader screen comes up.
7. Hit Volume Up until you see the screen say Recovery Mode, then hit the Power button to select it.
8. Once the phone boots back into recovery mode, scroll down to backup and restore using the volume buttons and hit power to select it.
9. Then select Backup and wait for it to backup your current data, just in case.
10. Once it is done, scroll to Wipe Data and select it.
11. Then select Flash zip from sd card, then choose zip from sd card.
12. Then select the ROM .zip file and wait for that to flash.
13. After it is done flashing, repeat step 11 and this time choose the add on file and wait for that to flash.
14. Once, both have been flashed, hit reboot system now.
15. All done! Now, download the Facebook app, login, head to Settings > Accounts and Sync > Add Account and select Facebook.
16. Now, reboot the device and when it turns back on you should have your facebook contacts.
*Profile pic syncing will come soon, check back here and download the latest option pack from the link above where you got this one and flash it through recovery (no need to wipe) once he releases it.
If this procedure helped you, please head to Modaco and donate and/or thank him for creating the ROM.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!