Our old rooting procedure for the MyTouch 3G Slide seems to no longer be working (thanks to the government shutting down Megaupload. Which, in turn, made us lose all of the files we had stored there like the rooting files for that procedure). Here’s the common new procedure. Let us know in the comments or by reaching out to us on the social network if it worked or didn’t for you. Thanks!
1. Make sure to do a backup of all the files on your phone before beginning just in case.
1. Download the following files and save them to your computer.
2. Now, plug in your phone via USB cable and select Disk Drive if asked.
3. Find your phone’s sd card directory on your computer if it doesn’t pop up automatically and copy all of the above files from your computer to the root of your SD card (that means NOT inside any folders, just on the SD card itself).
4. Once all the files are transferred, unplug your phone from the computer.
1. Head to the Android Market on your device and search for and install each of the following apps to your phone.
Terminal Emulator (Do not download here, download directly from the market)
ES File Explorer (Do not download here, download directly from the market)
Astro File Manager (Do not download here, download directly from the market)
2. Once all of these apps have been installed we can begin.
1. Head to your phone’s settings > Applications > Turn ON Alllow Unknown Sources.
2. Now, open Astro file manager and look for the Androot .apk file you downloaded and click it then click install.
3. Once installed, click open.
4. Now, select Root Me with Install SU & Temp Root / Unroot after Reboot Selected (Make sure all of that is selected or the phone will get stuck) and run it.
5. Open ES File Explorer and click menu then settings and check on the option called Up to Root, select Root Explorer, and Mount File System.
6. Select the multi select option at the top (second from the left) and select the flash_img and mtd0.img files.
7. Then select Copy at the top (third from the left).
8. Now, hit the back button until you get the top folder and navigate to the Data folder then the Local folder inside that and select Paste to paste the flash_img and mtd0.img files into the local folder.
9. Open, Terminal Emulator on your phone and type the following into it with hitting enter at the end of each line.
chmod 04755 flash_image
./flash_image misc mtd0.img
10. Once that works without any errors, power off the phone.
11. Reboot the phone by holding down Volume Down and Power at the same time, do not let go until the screen with text on it comes up. When it does, let go.
12. Once it finds the ESPRIMG.zip file click Volume Up to select Yes. Wait for it to finish flashing.
13. Once done, it’ll ask you if you want to reboot, select NO and click Recovery instead.
14. Push Volume Up and Power at the same time to show the Recovery options if you are not immediately presented with them.
15. In recovery mode, select Wipe Data / Factory Reset. (if selecting any options gives you a blank screen, try selecting with the select button under the screen instead of using power to select).
16. Then select Install Zip from SD Card and choose the CyanogenROM .zip file.
17. Once done, select reboot system now.
Let us know if it worked for you if there needs to be changes made!
Adapted from the original procedure found here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!