How to Root Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

In the series of Samsung Galaxy Tabs, the Tab 2 7.0 was the one which hadn’t gotten the taste of root and custom ROMs like its sister-tabs. A RootzWiki developer has come up with a procedure to root this tablet and to enjoy plenty of custom ROMs on this small tablet. So, if you are a fortunate owner of Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and want to root it, then go ahead and apply the steps given below.

I. Before You Begin:

1. Rooting your Galaxy Tab will void its warranty and it can only be gained back by either applying stock firmware or unrooting your tablet.

II. Downloading Required Files:

1. Download ClockworkMod Recovery Image from here.

2. Download the Rooting Package from here.

3. Download the Odin tool from here.

III. Installing CWM Recovery on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

1. First of all, close Kies software on your PC.

2. Reboot your Galaxy Tab 2 into the download mode. You can do so by pressing and holding both Volume DOWN and Power keys together.

3. Press the Volume UP key to enter into the download mode.

4. Launch the Odin Tool on your PC by double-clicking on Odin3 v1.85.exe file.

5. Connect your tablet to your PC using the USB cable.

6. From the Odin Tool, choose PDA and then select the recovery.tar.md5 file you downloaded earlier. You will have following screen:

[ Select “PDA” option ]

7. Click on the Start button to begin flashing recovery. Your tablet will reboot when the flashing is done.

8. Disconnect your tablet from the PC.

We completed installing CWM recovery on the tablet, now move on to the rooting procedure.

IV. Rooting your Galaxy Tab 2 7-inch:

1. Connect your tablet to your PC using the USB cable.

2. Transfer the Root File to the root folder of your device’s SD card storage.

3. After you have transferred the file, disconnect your tablet from the PC.

4. Turn OFF your tablet.

5. Boot your tablet into the recovery mode by pressing and holding both the Volume UP and Power keys simultaneously.

6. Choose install zip from sdcard option and then navigate to the rooting package you downloaded earlier. It will begin rooting your tablet, let it do it.

7. When the rooting is done, choose Reboot system now from the recovery menu.

Everything’s done now. You have successfully rooted your tablet as well as installed CWM recovery on it. This simple root method was brought to us by a RootzWiki user nycbjr, you should thank/donate him over at RootzWiki¬†for his great work!

98 responses to “How to Root Galaxy Tab 2 7.0”

1. Phil Bert says:

I have an issue, I went into recovery mode to install the zip. But I keep getting the cannot mound sd card error… Is there any suggestions at all to this? Please help thanks

• Josh D says:

I have the same issue Phil

• Phil says:

I looked into further, seems like some other people that have succefully rooted are now having issues with their system. Also seems irreversible to return to default system. So I might be holding off on the whole rooting till the bugs are clear. Let me know if you find any solutions.

• lolcat says:

you need an actual microsd card in the galaxy tab, CWM only supports external microsd, not the internal 8 gigs that come with the tablet.

• Anonymous says:

Just put a micro sd in the tab. CWM uses an external sd card.

2. susanjm says:

I’m having a problem with this which is possibly due to the fact that I’ve never rooted a device before and don’t entirely know what I’m doing. Installing CWM Recovery worked just fine, however I am unable to complete the rooting process. When I choose the package to install, here’s what I see:

–Appling Multi-CSC…
    Applied the CSC-code : XAR
    Successfully applied multi-CSC

— Install /sdcard…
    Finding update package…
    Opening update package…
    Verifying update package…
    E:signature verification failed

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

• susanjm says:

I’ve just realized that in fact CWM Recovery is not installing correctly. I suspect the problem is the one described in the thread “Stopping recovery overwrite” at Rootzwiki. Unfortunately, the solution is well beyond my abilities :(

• susanjm says:

Actually, I’ve just ploughed my way through all the posts on that thread and someone has created a different .md5 file that prevents the problem I was having. (Rebooting was overwriting CWM recovery). I have now successfully rooted my tablet.

Thanks for all the information here. It was really easy to read, understand and follow.

• Mahesh Makvana says:

Just after the install zip from sdcard, choose toggle signature verification to OFF.

Everything should work fine afterwards.

Thank you !

3. rdb says:

Hi ,
    after updating to kernel @sep-66 i tried to follow these steps for rooting.
    Did exactly but during cwm instaation ,the device failed to restart as if nothing happened. Now odin doesnt detect my device nor does normal windows detect it. Helpp!!!!

4. iaaw says:

some body help me!
    Cant get the CMW to work

5. iaaw says:

some body help me!
    Cant get the CMW to work
    Enter CS for MD5..
    Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    Please wait..
    recovery.tar.md5 is valid.
    Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    Leave CS..
    Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
    File analysis..
    Get PIT for mapping..
    Firmware update start..
    NAND Write Start!!
    RQT_CLOSE !!
    RES OK !!
    All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

still cant make cmw to work. it sends me to system recovery e

6. Warren Matheney says:

Hello, I’m really new to rooting but I’m pretty tech savy. I’ve followed everything exactly as stated when installing cwm recovery onto my 2 7.0, however, when I go to install cwm-root-gtab2, I end up in e3 recovery instead of cwm recovery. Therefore, there is no option to “install zip from sd card” option. How do I get around this?

• Mahesh Makvana says:

Please make sure that you’ve successfully flashed the CWM Recovery on your device.

Press the correct key combination and your device should boot up into the CWM Recovery.

• kunal says:

ur process sucks
        the Odin3 v1.85.exe file. doesnt opens on double click

• Mahesh Makvana says:

Apparently you’ve modified your Windows settings to not open the files with double-click. You can try opening file by clicking once on it and then pressing the Enter key on your keyboard. It should open the file on your PC.

• Kunal says:

what i mean is
            wen i double click on it
            it opens bt the winow showing PDA as u mentioned above doesnt opens

7. Martin says:

hi, i have a question, the root can be unrooted?

8. jib says:

how long it take to reboot after done with cmw recovery

9. FletchGuy says:

Hmmm seems to be some info missing here. You say download the 3 files so i did to my computer. I ran the odin and installed CWM just fine. Now the root kit is a zip file on my computer but your directions seem to indicate you want the tablet to run that file in recovery mode on the tablet which is now not connected to the pc??? Did you mean the root zip file needs to be downloaded or placed somewhere on the tablet? sd card? where??? Kind of an important step left out here so im sitting ready to root but need the correct info of where the zip should go and how to get it from the pc you had us download it to to the tablet.Thanks

• FletchGuy says:

Ok I got the root file and put it in the root file of the sd card…Now when I try to boot into recovery mode after odin confirms CWM by saying PASS in green which only takes like 10 seconds and shows 0/5 under it and reboots I can only get into standard 3e recovery mode. I did odin 6 times eachtime it takes like 15 seconds which seems way fast but it comes up green pass and restarts the tablet. I unplug turn it off and then hold power volume up same time it goes in to the 3e recovery mode each time.

• Dax Krishna says:

is it booting up normally when you don’t hold down the power and volume up buttons and just plain boot it?

• FletchGuy says:

yes boots normal does samsung splash screen then right into startup home screen just as normal.I have model GT-3113 on android 4.0.4

• Mahesh Makvana says:

We just made some changes in the procure above, you had to put the Root file onto your device’s SD card, then flash it using the CWM Recovery.

Thanks !

10. lk says:

can someone please tell me how to put the cmw zip file in the root of my external sd card ?

• FletchGuy says:

Plug your tab into your computer via usb so its seen as a media drive ie when you look at my computer you see it as a drive and then all you do is copy the root zip and paste it ontop of the sd card folder and thats the root. dont open the sd card just right click ontop and paste.

• Mahesh Makvana says:

Yes, @FletchGuy:disqus suggests right. Just connect your device to your PC and you should see it as a drive on your PC. Copy the file and paste it in the /sdcard/ of your device’s storage.

11. FletchGuy says:

I think I have may figured this issue out. I have build UEBLG5 so I need a different file which is ueblg5_espressowifi_recovery.tar.md5 . I got this from .And it is discussed here …. I am charging right now and will try again to see if this works correctly. It has to do with being on ics most recent OTA so kernal changed.

12. FletchGuy says:

I put the solution up and even added so replies to it to clarify but I dont see any of todays comments being shown.

13. FletchGuy says:

Basically I needed a different tar file for my updated unit as I have ueblg5 version build which has different kernel so I needed to use ueblg5_espressowifi_recovery.tar.md5 which is discussed and found here …. to get the file direct go here …Then just odin again using this tar file and all is good.

14. iszur Muchtar says:

Hai , I have tried to root My GT-P3100. it seems like OK in the process, but now it ended looping in boot sequence. Everytime It’s started , it showing Samsung Logo and music sound then goes black and restart again and do the same thing.. Could you tell me what happen? did I put in the wrong file to my stuff?

• Mahesh Makvana says:

Make sure that you used correct files for your device. If you got files from any other source, then they may have caused the problem.

• Ivan says:

Help I’m getting the same problem as the above person above even after doing everything in the above post!!!

• Mahesh Makvana says:

We suggest you first check that you’ve got the correct files for the method. Use the links given in the procedure to download files.

15. charger23 says:

Hi, when i try to root from sd card, it says E:signature verification failed. What do I do?

16. Harry says:

I don’t have a sd card in my tab 2 so i put it in the root of the device and it cant find it, where do i put it?

17. Otto says:

I am getting the signature verification error and when I boot into recovery mode there is no option to turn off signature verification. Now what?

18. Rebelcharm says:

Worked fine for me first time! Now if i could just find a program to move my apps to sd card!

19. thedeamon says:

With new FW versions, you need this method , else after normal reboot stock recovery will get loaded…need to push fix recovery first followed by actual CWM recovery file from SD card

20. Muhammad Haiqal says:

Where To Put the Root File ?