The Galaxy Attain 4G is a relatively new device available on MetroPCS and a mid-range phone at that – this makes it a low priority device for most of the devs. But some owners of this device are not sitting quiet and due to their hard work, the Galaxy Attain 4G can now be rooted. This post will show you how to gain root access, enabling you to use all those root-requiring apps and may be even flash a custom recovery and ROM in the future if the devs keep working on it.
1. This procedure could result in you owning a very expensive brick, so be sure that you indeed want root access on your device before proceeding.
2. The following procedure has been known to have issues when tried on a Windows XP PC; so make sure that you run it on a Windows 7 PC to minimize the chances of bricking your device.
1. Odin 1.85.
1. Extract odin-185.zip that you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.
2. Double-click on Odin 1.85.exe to open up Odin3.
3. Click on the PDA button. Navigate to the location where you downloaded the Attain-Rooted-Update.tar file from the above link and select it.
4. Click on the PIT button. Navigate to the the location where you downloaded the Attain-4G.pit file from the above link and select it.
5. Make sure that repartition is unchecked. This is important as checking this will most definitely brick your device!
6. Power down your device.
7. With your device switched off, press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons and then press power. Then press the Volume Up key to enter the Download Mode.
8. Connect your device to the Windows PC. You should see the ID:COM field light up yellow when you do this; if this doesn’t happen, it means that you don’t the necessary drivers installed. You can download Samsung Kies and install it to rectify this problem.
9. Your Odin3 screen should now look like the picture posted below. Again, make sure that the Re-Partion tickbox is unchecked before you click Start!
10. Click on Start.
Once Odin3 says “PASS” and your device reboots, your Samsung Galaxy Attain 4G should be rooted!! If you are in doubt though, the usual way to confirm is to download Root Checker or look for the Superuser app in the app drawer.
All credits go to Shabbypenguin on Androidforums, and a thank you or a donation will always be appreciated by him!!
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!