The much bigger brother of the Galaxy Tab is a great option if you want a well-rounded Android device that can double as a media player on the go, but rooting it will make using it that much more easier, we say. This guide will show you how to flash ClockworkMod Recovery on this big slate so you can enjoy all the custom ROMs that this device has, after which you can root the device using our guide here.
1. This is a Windows-based procedure, so make sure you have a Windows PC to use.
2. As always, back up all the data you feel is important before proceeding.
3. Make sure you have the correct drivers installed for the procedure to work. If you haven’t done so already, download them from the next section and install them before you proceed.
1. Power down and put your device into Download Mode. To do this, press Volume Down + Power simultaneously when the device is powered off until you see the Samsung logo. Once you see the logo, let go of the Power button and only hold down the Volume Down button until you get the screen where you can choose either Download Mode or Recovery Mode. Use the Volume Down button to highlight the green Android logo and select it by pressing the Volume Up button. Press Volume Up again to bypass the Warning screen.
2. Extract CWM22.214.171.124.zip to a folder on your desktop. The folder should now contain a file named recovery.tar.md5.
3. Extract ODIN3_v1.85.zip to a folder on your desktop.
4. From the extracted folder, double-click on Odin3_v1.85.exe to open the application.
5. Click on the PDA button, locate the recovery.tar.md5 file that you extracted above and then select it to load it into the PDA section of Odin.
6. Connect your device to the PC in Download Mode. If you haven’t installed the proper drivers, Windows 7 should do so now and if successful, the COM:ID button will turn yellow.
7. Make sure that only the Auto Reboot tickbox is checked. Do not check the Re-Partition box, this will most likely brick your device!!
8. Make sure your Odin screen looks like below (click on the picture to enlarge) and then press Start.
9. Once the process is complete, the first box on the Odin screen will turn green and your device will reboot automatically.
You have now successfully flashed ClockworkMod Recovery on your Galaxy Tab!! To confirm:
All thanks go to S0ckM0nk3y for tailoring the CWM Recovery to suit the Galaxy Tab 10.1!! Head over to his thread on AC Syndicate to thank or even donate to him if you liked his work!!
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
Now that you are rooted, head here to learn some of the fun things you can do!
For all the devices we have rooting procedures for, head here.