To root the new Galaxy Tab 2 7-inch tablet, you will need to have ClockworkMod Recovery installed before you actually root the device. This post will show you how to install ClockworkMod Recovery on the tablet, specifically the international GT-P3100 version, and in a future post, you will know how to root the device.
1. Make sure you have all the necessary drivers installed. This can be done by installing Samsung Kies.
2. Back up all the data that you feel is important before proceeding.
1. Make sure that Kies is not running on your Windows PC. You can use to Task Manager (accessed by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys on your Windows PC) to end any process that looks like a Kies file.
2. Extract Odin3 v1.7.rar that you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.
3. From the extracted folder, double-click on Odin3 v1.7.exe to open the program.
4. Click on PDA, locate and select the recovery.tar.md5 file you download above to load it on to Odin.
5. Make sure that only Auto-Reboot is checked under the Option section. Do not tick the Re-Partition box; this will mostly likely brick your device!!
6. Power down your device.
7. Put the device into Download Mode. To do this, hold the Volume Down button and then press the Power button until you see the device flash “Download Mode Do Not Turn Off Target“. You should now be in Download Mode.
8. Connect your device to the PC using the USB cable bundled with the device when you bought it.
9. Odin should now recognize your device and the ID:COM field should turn yellow. If this doesn’t happen, it is most likely that you didn’t install the drivers properly for your Windows PC. Do so before connecting your device in Download Mode.
10. Ensure that your screen looks like that and then hit Start.
You should be able to access your newly flashed ClockworkMod Recovery after the Tab reboots!!
Thanks go to xoomdev on RootzWiki for tailoring ClockworkMod Recovery to suit the 7-inch Tab 2!! Be kind and donate if you liked his work!!