With the the recent ZVC update, Sprint broke root for all the people who updated the LG Marquee – this post should remedy that by flashing a prerooted ZVC image, enabling users to have the latest update from Sprint but with root access. Keep reading to know how.
1. Back up your data as you will lose data since we will be downgrading the OS to (ZV9) to a lower version in order to root it. The best way to back up your data is to sync with your Google account (for contacts), copy all important media to your PC and use a third-party app like SMS Backup+ to back up your call log and texts.
2. Make sure you have all the necessary drivers installed before you proceed. If in doubt, download the driver provided in the next section.
1. On the LG Marquee, go to Settings > Connectivity and uncheck the ‘Ask on Plug in‘ box and set the default connection mode to ‘Charge Only‘.
2. Go to Settings > Applications > Development and check the ‘Enable USB Debugging’ tickbox.
3. Extract the LG_KDZ_FW-Update_OfflineFix.zip file you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.
4. From the extracted folder, run Windows Enabler.exe (should be present in the KDZ_FW_UPD_EN folder).
5. From the same KDZ_FW_UPD_EN folder, run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe. This will open up the LG Software Update Tool (LG’s equivalent to Samsung’s Odin). Leave the default settings unchanged (Type – CDMA | PhoneMode – DIAG)
6. In the KDZ file section, click on the browse icon and locate the LS855ZV9_11.S9_00.P60680.kdz file you downloaded above.
7. Power off your device and then connect it to your computer.
8. Click on ‘Launch Software Update‘ button. As soon as you click on this button, count to 12 and then power on the phone. If you miss it, restart the device and try again.
Your phone should reboot and once it does so, you should have the ZV9 update installed.
1. Extract the LG_Marquee.zip you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.
2. Make sure that you have set the default connection mode to Charge Only and you have enabled USB Debugging as instructed above.
3. Connect your device to your Windows PC.
4. Double-click on run.bat.
1. Exract the LGMarquee_CWM.zip you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.
2. Connect your device to your Windows PC.
3. From the extracted folder, double-click on cwm-install-windows.bat to run to the tool.
4. Type in 1 and then hit the enter key on your keyboard.
1. Connect your device to your Windows PC in USB Storage Mode.
2. Copy the ZVC-Rooted-Sprint.zip you downloaded above to the topmost folder of your SD card.
3. Power down your device.
4. Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, with your device powered off, press and hold Volume Down + Power buttons until you see the CWM menu.
5. Use the Volume Up and Down buttons to navigate to ‘Install zip from SD card’ and select ZVC-Rooted-Sprint.zip using the Power button.
6. Once the zip file is installed, select ‘Wipe Data/Factory Reset‘ to wipe the device and clear the cache by selecting ‘Clear Cache‘ from the CWM Menu.
7. Select ‘Reboot System Now‘.
You should now hold in your hands a rooted Sprint Marquee running the latest ZVC update!!
All thanks go to Jaybps3 on AndroidForums for putting everything together in one place!! Be sure to thank him on his thread if this helped you out.
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
Now that you are rooted, head here to learn some of the fun things you can do!
For all the devices we have rooting procedures for, head here.